Saturday, March 27, 2010

For All The Fabric Nerds Out There

And you know who you are.

You're the gals who hyperventilate when AMY BUTLER or HEATHER BAILEY come out with a new line. You're the gals who bring down the average age of the patrons of a quilt store by 20 years. You're the gals who have a stash of fabric and patterns "just because". You're the ones whose husbands say, "You spent how much on fabric?!" You're the gals whose friends' eyes' glaze over when you get to talking about color and texture and pattern and your next six projects. You're the ones who will read this post to the very end and LOVE every single word of it...especially the pictures!

For the rest of you, I apologize. Check back later. I'll probably be posting something about my children or a recipe soon.

This is my quilt bag.

I carry it with me, full of patterns and fabrics, whenever I head to a fabric store so I'll have everything I need.

As you can see, it's almost full.


That's because I went to the very best quilt store in the whole entire world! Or at least the best one I've ever been to. It's the CABBAGE ROSE in Fort Worth. My mom found it by accident a few months ago and told me that it was a "must-do" over Spring Break. So we did. Twice. I was so overwhelmed on my first visit (and we only had about an hour) that I had to go back the next day. Even if you are not a quilter, but you love a good fabric, then this shop should be on your "10 Things To See Before You Die" list.

Oh my heavens, was it wonderful!

I came home with a bag full of fun fabric and patterns. (Truth be told, it already had two finished quilt tops in inside.) I bough these two fabrics to make THIS for Phoebo-licious.


It's a practice run for when I use these fabrics to make THIS and THIS. Aren't they luscious?!


I'm very nervous because I haven't done much actual sewing before. I've mastered the PILLOWCASE DRESS , the HALLOWEEN COSTUMES (TWICE!),and I did make some pajamas for Eli once when he was about 18 months, but they were nothing to write home about. Really. My mom had to fix them because the legs were crazy messed-up! That's why I bought the practice fabric. Well, that and it was soooo pretty.

I also bought the backing and binding fabric for my dad's quilt. I finished the top (only a month after his birthday!) and told him he could pick out the backing. Lo and behold, they had it Cabbage Rose! (The blue is the backing and the brown is the binding, in case you were wondering.)

I also bought the fabric to make THIS quilt for Eli.


And I bought THIS pattern because I just liked it! :)

I might have gone just a teensy-tiny bit overboard with all my projects! What can I say? I get a little light-headed in a good quilt store and all common sense is thrown out the window. If you've made it this far, then you probably completely understand. So what projects are you currently working on? Or hope to work on? Or bought fabric for and now wonder when you'll get them all finished?

Check back in 6 months. I might have finished half of mine!

7 comments:

Jenni said...

my sewing projects are usually few and far between....my mom taught me the basics, but I don't have the love or the patience for anything major. I just bought fabric for a window valance and it took mom and I quite a while to write out the "pattern" and get the plan in my head so that I feel half-way confident in what I am doing. it won't be hard, but it will probably take me loads longer than anyone else....

Lori said...

Just when I was telling Sarah this morning I might have an unhealthy attachment to her family's blogs and I should stop stalking... I mean following you... you do an entry I MUST reply to. I read your whole post, see if you like any of these projects!

http://womenwhodoitall.blogspot.com/2010/03/friday-night-means-new-giveaway.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+WomenWhoDoItAll+(Women+Who+Do+It+All),

http://somedaycrafts.blogspot.com/2010/03/crazy-about-carrots.html

http://littlebirdiesecrets.blogspot.com/2010/03/monster-quilt-is-done.html

Anonymous said...

Jordan, I have my own list of fabric projects, as you know. I will be going back to Cabbage Rose after Easter, since my current project will be finished by then. You will have to put a picture of that on your blog. You have picked beautiful fabrics for great projects. Can't wait to see the finished work! We can go back to Cabbage Rose any time you want.
XXXmomCCC

Amber said...

Can't wait to see the finished products!

Kasey Love said...

Every time I read one of your "quilty" posts it makes me smile. Even though I don't quilt, I do have a love of fabric. You remind me very much of my moma in this post. I just quilt vicariously (sp) through you and Dixie. :)

Kristen said...

I have been to the cabbage rose when I lived there. I have also shopped online. My friend told me about it.
I love the fabric you chose for phoebe's pants. You can teach me how to make them when you are done.
I love fabric too, but I don't quilt. I think I might ek a cute pillowcase dress just for fun out of fabrics. My mom & I found some fun fabrics here in town.

Halloween Costumes said...

I really love the fabric store! I can come up with some great ideas. Sad to day I have not mastered one yet. :( I have not stopped trying! It is just so much fun to see all of the fabrics and dream! My family probably wishes I would just stop at that!