Saturday, July 25, 2009

My "Famous" Mac N' Cheese

Actually, this picture has nothing to do with my mac n' cheese. I just thought it was a cute picture of Eli and one of the many toads we have living in our backyard.

Can't you see the terror in the toad's eyes?

Back to my mac n' cheese. It's not really so famous, but I think it makes it sound so much more yummy and credible. I made up this recipe when I was trying to figure out how to make mac n' cheese with whole grain noodles. It makes me feel better about myself.

My "Famous" Mac N' Cheese

1/2 lb. whole grain noodles (I usually use elbow noodles, but sometimes I substitute whatever I have)
Velveeta cheese (I don't usually measure this, but I pulled my block out of the fridge this morning and I think I use about 4 oz.)
milk (I don't measure this either. I'd start with a tablespoon or two and then add more if needed. You don't want your cheese sauce too runny.)
a pinch of dry mustard
salt and pepper

Boil and drain your noodles. Melt Velveeta and milk in a bowl in the microwave and stir in dry mustard. Stir together and noodles and sauce. Salt and pepper to taste.

** I usually add fresh broccoli to this if I have some. Just toss them in with the noodles in the last two minutes of boiling time. To make it a meal, add some cubed ham when stirring in the cheese sauce.

We have this about once a week. My supply of whole grain elbow noodles is extremely low so I guess I'll just have to go visit my mom and stock up.


And just as a bonus, I think this is awesome! Dontcha know their reception was FUN!

4 comments:

sue said...

Sounds yummy!!! Sue

Emily Bowmer said...

Hey Jordan!! Have you visited the Natural Grocer? It's over next to Jason's Deli. They have lost of whole grain stuff, and I'm pretty sure they have pasta. Just a thought. It's a neat store. They have organic produce too. Not that you shouldn't go see your mom, but in a pinch, you might try them out. Have a great weekend!

Lori said...

Thank you for the recipe, with my food allergies I can't eat regular mac n cheese, look forward to making this!!!

Kristen said...

YUM! I was looking for whole grain noodles the other day...seriously Amarillo doesn't have them...
might have to have you pick me up some and I will pay you. :)