Sunday, December 19, 2010

Show and Tell: Teacher Christmas Aprons

A few years ago I started making Christmas aprons for teacher gifts. You can see last year's HERE and the year before HERE. This year wasn't any different and I found my fabric in August at one of my very favorite FABRIC STORES in Fort Worth. One might think that since I had the fabric so early, I would have saved my self the headache of waiting until the last minute to finish these aprons.

One would be wrong.

I waited until right before I got the tummy bug and my machine stopped working. It was awesome.

I used THIS PATTERN (which I loved), but when you're making three, it doesn't just "whip together" like I had intended. However, because of my good friend, Dixie, loaning me her machine, I finished them and they were well received all around.

I even found a couple of cute models to help me show them off.



The cool thing about this pattern (other than the fact that the pattern creator found the instructions in a pocket of one of her mother's vintage aprons) is that it has pockets. They are between the front and side tiers on each side. So adorably cute.

As is my daughter's face in this next picture.



Eli was less than thrilled to model a "girl apron" for me, but conceded when I threatened him within an inch of his life. Can't you tell he's thrilled?



I enjoyed this pattern more (once I figured it out and fixed my machine) than the ones in years past and I just might make myself one. Because I need another apron like I need another hole in my head. I already have seven. But, really, can one have too many aprons?

What did anyone else give for teacher gifts this year? I'm always looking for more ideas in case I lose my mind making aprons someday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do love those aprons. Hope I can "borrow" the pattern sometime soon.
XXXmomXXX
(by the way, your models are adorable.)

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

Cute, cute!! I actually ordered some coffee tumblers for our teachers that had monogrammed inserts on fun fabric inside the clear parts of the cups. Then we filled them with the little bags of Ghiradelli Christmas coffee from the Target dollar spot. Wish I had a clue how to sew and could have given something handmade like you! Handmade gifts are always the best!