There's nothing like the tummy bug to make you all Grinch-like right before Christmas.
This weekend I felt great. I was getting stuff accomplished. I was checking off my to-do list in a scheduled, orderly fashion. Sure I had projects to finish and there isn't one present under my tree, yet, but I had it under control. A good schedule and hard work would make it happen. I was feeling good about it. I even went on a Christmas date with Brad Saturday night.
Then I started throwing up early Sunday morning.
All day Sunday I lay in bed running a fever and couldn't keep anything down. I kept thinking to myself that it was just a bump in the road, that I could still salvage my Christmas schedule, that I'd wake up Monday morning feeling better and ready to conquer the world.
Monday morning rolled around and I wasn't running fever, but I still couldn't keep anything down and every time I tried to stand up, I felt faint. No getting things done for me. I spent most of my day on the couch with Phoebe watching cartoons, playing with paper dolls, and reading books. About 2:00pm, I perked up a bit. I started feeling a bit more human. So I decided to work on my Christmas projects. There are a few things that have to be finished before school lets out on Thursday so I was working on those. Stitching away when my sewing machine stopped working. That's right. My. Machine. Stopped. Working. (For those of you who care, the feed dogs won't work. They will only stay in the down position making it impossible to sew.)
I went into a panic. I called Brad (who didn't answer) then I called my mom and cried. It seemed like the logical thing to do at the time.
At this point, my Christmas Spirit is squashed. I know that true joy is a choice you make despite the circumstances in which you find yourself. And I so want to be a person of joy, but at the moment, I'm positively Scrooge-ish.
My house is a wreck (because that's what happens when mom is sick). The laundry is half clean, none folded. There are dishes in the sink. I desperately need to go to the grocery store as we are out of milk and bread and Diet Coke and almost everything else. There are no wrapped presents under my tree. I have 74 errands I have to run before Eli's school party on Friday. My sewing machine is still broken. I have 4 projects left to complete. There are still 4 gifts left to buy. There are 125 Christmas cards to address and mail. None of the beds are made today. I'm supposed to have a Huddle Christmas party at my house on Wednesday night. Sometimes I just find myself a little overwhelmed.
I also realize that despite my pity party my children are healthy (even though I desperately wished for one of them to get sick during the night so I would have an excuse to stay home and get some stuff finished...yeah, my priorities are all outta whack). We have so many people to buy presents for because we have so many people to love. I have a warm, solid house (albeit messy) to live in. I also realize I put most of these high expectations upon myself, but it's not like I can just let them go, either.
So I'll just stew in my misfortune instead and make everyone around me miserable in the process.]
Ba-humbug!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







2 comments:
Did you remove the plate around the feed dogs and spray canned air all around? I have had fiber and lint cause problems before and this has worked for me. Can't help with the shopping, wrapping and cleaning though. . .
Oh, I wish I could come give you a hug. I sometimes have a hard time finding the joy in the season when it is so crazy. I hope things get better super fast. Nothing like a tummy bug to kill the Christmas spirit. (We're battling one at our house right now, too). It will all be wonderful by the 25th!
Post a Comment