They look like fun, don't they?
I hadn't told Eli or Phoebe that they were coming so when they arrived, both children were wild with excitement! They spent a good hour hanging all over them and generally acting like maniacs. It was so much fun. Hence the need for an after-dinner walk to blow off some steam. That's when I took 201 pictures with my camera.
Don't worry, I'm not going to post them all tonight.
After our walk, I decided to try out a little treat I learned from my sister's new MIL. She's from Kansas and has loads of good ideas. I remember making homemade donuts when I was little. They were delicious, but making up the dough always seemed like a lot of work so I have never done it with my own children. Sandy told me that she made homemade donuts using a can of refrigerated biscuits. Genius! So last night we whipped up a batch of our own.
I used the top to my syrup bottle to cut out the "holes".
Then I fried them up in hot oil. I used my smaller skillet that would only fry about three at a time, but the oil would be deeper so the donuts wouldn't stick to the bottom of the pan. (I learned this the hard way when I tried to fry them in too little oil and the first one I made burnt on the bottom because the oil wasn't deep enough.) Be sure not to get the oil too hot, either, or the outside of the donut will brown too quickly and the inside will still be dough-y.
We drained them on paper towels until they had cooled just a bit. They need to be hot, but cool enough to handle. I let the children dip the donuts in our toppings. I put the traditional cinnamon-sugar in one bowl and powdered sugar in another. (I used powdered sugar because it is my firm belief that everything tastes better if dipped in powdered sugar.)
Delightfully delicious!
Be sure to cuddle with your Grandaddy while recuperating from the powdered sugar high.







6 comments:
Oh my - now your post reminded me of the first time we made donuts this way... same mistakes and everything:) Except I thought I could fix the burnt outside, gooey inside donuts by cooking them longer in the oven. It doesn't work - trust me. We made the icing by mixing powdered sugar and just a touch of water - tasted just like those clear icing donuts. Sounds so yummy!
I am jealous I am not there!
Love,
Sister
So Shane read your blog and now at 10:40 at night he wants homemade donuts!
Probably not going to happen!
I just made donuts this way last week...and got the oil too hot. Ugh.
Despite my mess, this is a great way for some yummy quick donuts!
yummy! I have never tried this. I will have to do that. Hope your weekend was fabulous!!! :)
Hey there,
Your mother and I only made the swing jump after I had established the orthopedic coverage at Brad's hospital. Also, we sure didn't get much air with those jumps, ground is closer in Amarillo.
Donuts were great, but still trying to find the "healthy" food group they go into. But I will side with Miss Phoebe, there is not many things powdered sugar doesn't make better!
And finally, you need a dog for wide open spaces.
See you soon, love you.
Dad
Post a Comment