Monday, April 20, 2009

Kindergarten Registration=Disaster

This morning, I was supposed to register Eli for Kindergarten.

Except that I forgot all about it. That is, until I was talking to my friend, Heather, on the phone about t-shirt sizes while wearing my pajamas watching my children run around in their pajamas. It was exactly 9:12...and my appointment was at 9:00. Shoot!

I hurriedly hung up the phone (sorry, Heather) I called and asked (begged) the nice school secretary if I could possibly reschedule and would she not think of me as the mom-who-is-so-unorganized-that-she-forgot-about-her-son's-kindergarten-registration-and-if-she-just-knew-me-she'd-realize-how-uncharacteristic-this-is-of-me. Actually, I didn't say the last part...I just thought it. She said I could come at 11:30. Great! Now where was that packet they sent me in the mail two weeks ago? The one I put in a "safe place" so I wouldn't lose it? The one I decided to not look at last Thursday because I was trying to pack and, surely, I'd have time to get it done Sunday when I got home?

After searching for 10 minutes (it was in the temporary filing "box" on Brad's desk in the file labeled "Things To Deal With"...how appropriate) I showered and dressed and got the kids ready in record time. Then I took a look at this packet.

My heart stopped.

It was three pages of questions and a list of important documents that I would need to bring to registration. Birth certificate, Social Security card, shot record, and utility bill for proof of address. I had absolutely no idea where any of these were!

It was about this time that I started to hyperventilate.

How could I show up at a rescheduled (because I forgot!) Kindergarten Registration without all my documents?! What were they going to think of me?! How would this affect Eli's kindergarten success?! Things were getting serious, people!

I found the birth certificate pretty quickly since I had just been to City Hall and picked it up...I knew I needed it for kindergarten registration. The Social Security card and the shot record proved to be another story all together. I had to call Eli's doctor and ask her to (quickly) make a copy because I had never been good at keeping up with it. The Social Security card was another matter and I spent a hurried 30 minutes looking in all our files only to eventually locate it in Eli's baby book. I made a copy of our Homeowner's Insurance for the address verification because we do all our bills online. I threw all these into a file folder, threw the kids in the car, and raced to town to pick up the shot record.

We screeched into the parking lot and tumbled into the office with five minutes to spare. Eli was questioned and screened and assessed and we were finished in 30 minutes. I guess they'll let him in anyway.

Needless to say, I didn't mop today.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

oh my! What a day! Sorry it was so chaotic...just think...check that off the list!!! LOVE to check things off the to do list. Can't believe he is sooo big. Can't wait to see you this weekend or next week. :)

Carrie said...

I am sure you will be labeled "that" mom but you will make it up on class party day or even better..teacher appreciation week!!!

I still want to be in denial that Eli is starting kindergarten!

Anonymous said...

Hey there,
Don't you love the adrenaline rush that goes along with the last minute sprint?!?
Glad you got buzz-head registered though, you did mark down the first day of school...right?
Love you, see you soon.
Dad

Anonymous said...

This story reminds me of the time I forgot Jury Duty! I did the same thing...I dressed and flew as fast as I could to the courthouse
(45 min late). I found a sympathic security officer who took my summons and stamped it present and sent me home. Took me all day to calm down.
Janet Dillard

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

Sorry Jordan, but I am smiling a little. Smiling 'cause I've been there, and smiling because that is so uncharacteristic of you. But if I know you, you will make it up by making your yummy treats - and send one my way as well! I deserve something for getting hung up on so abrubtly! ( only half way kidding you know - you are a really good cook!) Hope today was "less rushed."