Monday, January 04, 2010

A Mommy Melt-Down

Christmas night I had a mommy melt-down.

It was probably a combination of exhaustion and over stimulation and spending a lot of time with this precious little guy, but all I could think about as I went to bed was that the only Christmas with a six-year-old Eli and a two-year-old Phoebe had passed. All the anticipation and excitement and work had lead up to a great day, but it was over and I was never getting it back. The next morning I felt much better (and even a little silly) and realized that if I let the passage of time affect me so greatly, then my nights were going to get really, really long because every single day was one less I had to spend with my children.


Fast forward to last Monday. I was still in my "after-travel funk" and still unpacking and doing laundry and trying to get up the energy to put Christmas away and organize it like I wanted. Brad came home and suggested that we go on an impromptu ski trip, just the four of us. I was less than thrilled. Despite the fact that I just really like to stay home, going out of town after just getting back just didn't sound very appealing. And then there's the fact that I just like to stay home...I might have mentioned this before.

Then I thought about my Christmas day mommy melt-down and how a few days away, without feeling the need to clean and organize and be productive, was the way to make memories. A small way to stretch out the Christmas of 2009. So we packed our bags (again) and headed off to snowy Ruidoso.

We had a great time.

We let the kids stay up as late as they wanted. Brad and Eli skied. Phoebe and I stayed home and watched movies. We sledded and ate queso and cookies and bowls and bowls of popcorn. A good time was had by all.



Today we are back to school and work and schedules and laundry and cleaning and putting away Christmas, but we've got some pretty darn good memories to wrap around us when we're old.

4 comments:

Amber Smith said...

Precious kiddoes! Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas. I'm glad you enjoyed a time of memory making.

Holly O'Quinn said...

Great perspective, Jordan! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Hey there,
Here is my perspective...memories happen. They are the fabric of who we become. However, if we cling to the current memory, we miss the moment of the one to come. Take each one as it comes, savor it, then file it away for the quieter moments. There sre plenty more where that came from.
Love you, see you soon
Dad

Anonymous said...

awesome christmas, irreplaceable memories.
XmomX