Wednesday, January 06, 2010

When The Lightbulb Goes Off

It might surprise you to discover that Brad is actually the patient "teaching" parent in our family...at least when it comes to Eli. With all other children, I have the patience of Job when it comes to teaching. I rarely lose my temper and never wind up in tears. With Eli, though, all bets are off and we both wind up frustrated and in tears when I try to teach him something. Be it letters or potty-training or how to make the bed. I like to say that it's because that boy is one stubborn little cuss, but I think, in reality, it's because we are both too sure that our own way of doing things is the "right" one. (Even though mine really is!)

I admire moms who homeschool their children...sometimes I even wish I was one of them. They have patience and discipline and a feeling that what they are doing is the absolute best for their child. But I also know it would never work for Eli and I. We would probably kill each other before the first week was over.

So I leave most of the "teaching" to Brad. While he uses language that I think would be confusing or too hard to understand, Eli gets it. Brad taught him his right from his left, how to ride a bike, and, most recently, how to ski. And it wasn't easy, either. Eli spent the first few hours having meltdowns or falling on purpose because he was scared or unsure. The child's real gift is knowing how to use his body in any way he wants effortlessly, but sometimes he gets a little overwhelmed and clams up. He also doesn't take direction well and will most likely do the exact opposite of what you've advised him to do. He just has to come into it on his own. I think that's where Brad's real "genius" as a teacher to Eli comes from--his ability to let Eli try his own way countless times and not get so frustrated he can't see straight.

After awhile, after Eli figures it out in his own stubborn little way, the lightbulb just goes off and it's like he's been doing this his entire life. On Friday, it happened about noon, and Brad and Eli got in about four hours of actual skiing. This video is the first time Eli really figured it out.


Next lesson: How To Tie Your Shoes. Brad is thrilled about this one.

6 comments:

Heather B. said...

Yep. Connor & I are the exact same way! My hubby is the best teacher for him. I think it is because Connor & I are so much alike it hinders us from seeing the good in each others intentions!

Carrie said...

Way to go Eli! He skis better than I do!

Happy Brad can teach him those things!

Anonymous said...

Hey there,
What a great video, what a great teacher and student.
I wonder where Eli gets that little stubborn streak?
It seems like I remember a young lady, eeching and \screeching her way down the driveway in a small, silver unsuspecting Hyundai, claiming it was a "stupid" car because it was a standard...hmmm. I wonder. Me thinks the apple not only fell close to the tree, it didn't even roll very far.
Love you, see you soon
Dad

Heather said...

I don'r know what's more impressive - Eli's skiing, or Brad skiing while recording.

Holly O'Quinn said...

This video almost makes me tear up. Partly b/c your little boy reminds me so much of my oldest. But also, because it's such a blessing to see how our friends have evolved in their adulthood. Brad IS patient with Eli, and is such a great dad. I'm proud of both of your guys!

Anonymous said...

good job little man - uncle jason