Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Getting Ready For The Paci Fairy



Both of my children were paci babies. Each liked to be swaddled up tight with a paci in their mouth every single night. Eli was sleeping through the night at 2 months (and I'm talking 10-7) and Phoebe at about 7 weeks so it worked for us. I am the Queen of Swaddling. Just ask my sister. However, I am not the Queen of Paci Discipline. Eli weaned himself around 15 months or so and I congratulated myself on dodging that bullet.

Phoebe? Not so much.

The sweet girl is still addicted to her paci. And when I say addicted, I mean we-don't-leave-home-without-one-and-there's-a-backup-in-the-glove-compartment addicted. About a year ago, I thought it would be a good idea to confine the paci usage to her bed. She spent several extra hours those next few weeks just hanging out in her bed with her books and babies and puzzles and her paci. Then she adjusted and we (mostly) stick to this rule. Except, of course, when she's having a melt-down. Or riding in the car. Or watching a movie.

Like I said, this has been a bit of battle for us.

All the experts I've talked to about this tell me not to worry so much. These experts include my parents' best friend (who's a dentist), my Aunt Amy (a pediatric ENT), and our pediatrician. They all told stories of children (including their own) who gave up the paci only to replace it with clothes chewing and hair pulling. Who needs that? And I've listened to them. Partly because they know what they're talking about and partly because they were telling me what I wanted to hear.

Then a few days ago it dawned on me that Phoebe would be turning three in less than two months. Three!! I'm worried that if we don't do something now, then she'll be bringing a back-up paci on her honeymoon. I'm not sure her future husband (or her teeth) will appreciate this.

I decided it was time to pull out the secret mommy trick. The one that really works.

Bribery. (Apparently, I'm in very good company!)

I told Phoebe that when she turns three, we were going to gather up all her paci's and put them in a basket for the Paci Fairy who would come and take them. She would give them to all the little babies who needed them (because big girls don't, you know) and leave her a big girl present. We've been talking about this big event, trying to get her excited and ready all at the same time, and I'm still not sure she's ready. We've even been to Target trying to find something that Phoebe might like the Paci Fairy to bring her. (For the record, there is no present big enough or great enough to replace her beloved paci's.)

Most of the time, Phoebe acts like she's on board with idea. She'll tell any one who will listen all about the Paci Fairy and what wonderful things she'll bring. She's picked out a basket to put them in and talks about how happy all the baby recipients will be. But then we'll be at Schlotzky's eating a late lunch after church. It'll be past her naptime and she's just had it. As I fish around in my purse for the paci, I'll ask her what she's going to do when the Paci Fairy comes.

"I no want to talk about it."

Oh, jeez. We are so not ready for the Paci Fairy.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Poor Phoebe! I am sure she will get the hang of it sooner or later or you will just have to make a sparkly paci for when she walks down the aisle!

Brittyne Fitzgerald said...

In the same boat with Riley. We have till May before 3 comes though. I used the Paci Fairy trick with Abby. A big wrapped box came and set in our floor for THREE days before she was ready to send off her paci's and open her gift. Luckily, she never looked back once it was gone.

Anonymous said...

I just don't know. I love how her paci just makes everything better and how it makes her so mellow. Too bad for Phoebe. This growing up is not what it's cracked up to be. You'll all get through it, I'm sure. I've never seen a first grader with a paci. Yet.
Xmom/nenaX

Kristen said...

Atleast you won't have the thumb battle like we will have...:) It is either one or other.
Emma Kate was lucky and didn't like anything...
Goodluck witht the paci fairy. :)

Anonymous said...

Welll, you still have six weeks before she turns 3 - you never know what wonders could happen in that length of time! At least you started early. Preparation and discussion with an-almost-3-year-old is very helpful. My daughter-in-law decided that the first birthday was the time to take away the pacifier - and the bottle. So, my first granddaughter had her first birthday, lost her bottle, lost her paci - and had her first overnight trip to Granmom's house (that would be my house) all at the same time! We had one unhappy baby girl! So, I fudged a little and ran to Walmart for a "temporary paci" to tide us over until the weekend was over and she went back home! (Of course, the "temporary paci" didn't go home with her.) After she got back home, she was fine without it. I didn't tell my son and daughter-in-law about my indiscretion until my 3rd granddaughter was born - the day before Phoebe was born. By then, my 1st granddaughter was almost 10! So, you could send Phoebe off to Grandma's house for a few days!!
Just kidding! Phoebe is such a sweet girl, and I'm sure she will do fine. Lots of luck, and be strong, Mom, be strong!
Wanda Hufnagle

Phillips Family said...

I have laughed several times over Phoebe's response of "I no talk about it." What a smart girl...already knows how to avoid a difficult conversation :)

By the way, Target has the cute Snow White dolls on clearance for about $7 right now. I might possibly have bought one to keep stashed away for my next bribery emergency....


Another thing...I vote send her to grandma's for rehab. Although neither of my kids were paci-kids, they were BIG time bottle drinkers. Both loved their night time bottle of milk before bed. Managed to break this habit with both of them while visiting the grandparents. The excitement and different routine helped them "forget" their bottle. (they were both over 2 when this happened. I know, I am a horrible mother)

Good Luck!