We are not the Partridge Family. Or the Duggers. Or that family on America's Got Talent.
I know people that need music like fish need water. People who have perfect pitch and can play musical instruments and who seem to always know every single song on the radio past and present. It is part of who they are and without they would be lost. I had a friend in college who said that the most important thing she was looking for in a husband is someone who loved to sing. I remember thinking, "Really? Really?! That's the most important thing?" She and her husband probably have accapella sing-alongs on long car trips where the children sing all the different parts like the song "Daddy Sings Bass."Outside of church and small groups, I'm not sure that Brad and I have ever sung together. Brad has trouble remembering a simple tune and I couldn't tell you anyone on the radio unless they've been on Sesame Street. We're just not that family.
Unlike Brad and I (both sets of parents are better than average singers), Eli has followed right along in our footsteps. The boy cannot carry a tune in a bucket to save his blessed little heart! He told numerous Sunday school teachers that he didn't like to sing and would just sit during Children's Worship (or play air guitar, but that's a whole other bowl of beans!). He never sang little ditties or asked me to sing any song while potty-training and when asked what he wanted to listen to while riding in the car, he would usually say "just talking". The soundtrack to his life would be gunfire and Star Wars sound effects.
But now Eli has Music every day at school and it seems some little tucked-away place buried deep inside of him has been set free. He sings (yes, sings!) while going about his day. He asked me to google "double bass" the other day because I wasn't quite sure what it was and he was trying to explain something to me. We even talk about music everyday.
Eli: Mom, you know that guy who played music that makes your brain smart?
Me: Um, Mozart?
Eli: Yeah, him. He's my favorite song guy after Elvis. (I'm not sure he even knows anyone beyond Elvis and Mozart!)
Eli: At school, Mrs. Vokes brought her French horn to school and let me blow in it.
Me: Really. A French Horn?
Eli: Yeah, it's like a horn. But it's French.
Eli: Mom, I want to play a violin.
Me: Why? It takes lots and lots of practice.
Eli: I want to play in a band. (Can you just see what kind of "band" Eli imagines himself playing a violin?)
Watch out, Von Trapps! The McCall's are on their way up!
For the record, Phoebe is VERY musical. She is always singing and making up songs and she seems to light up when music is played. When she hears music that moves her (whether Pachelbel's Canon in D or Hey Mickey, You're So Fine), she starts dancing and wants everyone around her to dance with her! Regardless of whether you're standing in the check-out line at United or in the bathroom at Dillards. It's a little embarrassing. I think I'm going to need to send Phoebe over to someone's house who actually knows something about music. Or maybe I'll just send her to the grandparents house. They weren't embarrassed to sing in the middle of the capitol building, they probably wouldn't be embarrassed to slow dance with Phoebe at the grocery store.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
I love that both of your little ones sing, even that Eli came late to the concert. And, yes, I'll dance with them anywhere they choose to. Don't you remember that we danced for our supper in Mexico?
XmomX
I have to say, I always knew I'd know my future husband when I heard him sing - that he would have THE most beautiful tennor voice E.V.E.R. I gotta tell ya - I found him, and I married him. And what I really love about it is that I very much remember being a senior in high school and hearing him sing as a Sing Song host and thinking, "Wow! That's quite impressive." Who knew I'd accidentally run into him one year later on campus w/o realizing who he was - and marry him three years later? Yes, music does bring the world together no matter if you can carry a tune or not. Soooo glad that E and P sing their little hearts out. And perhaps the Von Trapps should watch out... E and P are certainly cute enough to join in "Song Long, Farewell".
Hey there,
I have heard that music is the language of the heart. I think it may be true. A lot songs at church have great music and iffy theology, but we sing them anyway. I know that Victory in Jesus yanks me back to my mother's funeral, but in a good way. It helps me remember that she triumphed in her life over cancer and death, that she was victorious. Certain songs recall for me mission trips and affirmation of faith in dark times. So let them sing, they are certainly a song to my heart.
Love you, see you soon.
Dad
I'd like to think that we are partially if not totally responsible for the Elvis in this post!
--- Dixie
Post a Comment