Monday, August 03, 2009

Five Yummy Things To Do With Zucchini

One of my very favorite things about summer is the abundance of summer produce. Visions of zucchini, squash, tomatoes, corn, green beans, watermelon, peaches, and nectarines dance in my head causing me to ponder all manner of summer-time, produce inspired recipes. My friend, Dixie, grows an ample garden every summer. She grows all kinds of veggies and some them actually make it to her kitchen, past her three little ones who will just pick the produce straight from the vine and eat it in the yard. Zucchini is one of those veggies that her children don't just gobble up and she's always asking me for ideas on how to use her zucchini. I usually just tell her to send some my way and then I'll look for recipes! :) It only works sometimes, but at least I'm not getting as many cucumbers.

Her zucchini query got me thinking about zucchini and I came up with a list of Five Yummy Things To Do With Zucchini. Dixie, I hope it helps.

* Zucchini Pasta. It's not my recipe and I've never made it, but it looks sooooo yummy. It combines two of my favorite things (zucchini and pasta) and her recipes NEVER disappoint!

* Zucchini Saute. Cut up two large or three smallish zucchini (however much you'll eat in one setting) into slices and then quarter. Melt a little butter with some olive oil in a skillet and add zucchini and some chopped garlic. Saute for a few minutes until the zucchini is bright green and still has a nice crunch. DO NOT overcook or your zucchini will be mushy and there's just not too many things worse than mushy zucchini. Season liberally with kosher salt and black pepper. Sprinkle with fresh chopped basil (you can substitute dried, but it's not as good). Martha makes something similar, but puts fresh corn from a cob in it as well. I find de-cobbing corn tedious so I never do it.

* Zucchini Fritters. Grate a large zucchini and drain it well in a paper towel. Add some Bisquick (I never measure this so just dump in a little until it looks "right"-- not too much because you want it a little "wet"), an egg, and salt and pepper. Bring some oil to a very high temp, but not too hot or you'll just burn the outside and the middle will be raw. If your oil is too cold then the zucchini fritter won't fry and it will soak up too much grease and be gross. I know because I've done it. Fry the fritters on one side until golden brown and then flip them over. When they're done, transfer to a paper towel to drain. Serve with ranch for dipping.

* Roasted Zucchini. Slice zucchini into rounds or sticks. Place on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with coarse salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese from the green bottle. Broil on a high heat until "done". I like to use high heat because it gives it a little char without overcooking it. You could also grill the zucchini in a basket using the same ingredients.

* Zucchini Bread. I've also made these into muffins.

Here's a bonus recipe. I've never made it, but it looks scrumptious. I'm waiting until I have a need for an impressive appetizer, which may never happen, but I'm ready if it does!

What are your ideas for zucchini?

4 comments:

The Denney Family said...

My sister makes a mean zucchini casserole with cream cheese, green chili and shredded cheddar cheese. I'll have to pull the recipe at home. I haven't made it since Thanksgiving (it's a must for us at the Thanksgiving table).

Kristen said...

LOVE it! I actually got online to look up recipes for zuchinni and squash that Dixie gave me. YUM! These all look wonderful! Thanks for ideas...can't wait to make one of them this week!

Mrs. Chapman's 2nd Grade Class said...

Yummy!! My husband had a surplus of zucchini in our garden last summer so I went searching the internet for some good recipes. I love The Pioneer Woman and she had an especially yummy one...it is actually from one of her guest writers. Here's the link http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/07/cooking-with-ryan-zucchini-cakes/
I've made them several times and they are delish! My nephews dip them in ranch dressing.

Cornelius Crew said...

I guess I know what we are having for dinner!! Thanks!