Tuesday, February 09, 2010

I Should've Just Let Them Eat Cake

Our morning did not go so well and it all started at breakfast.

I briefly considered letting the children (and myself) have a piece of the leftover cream cheese pound cake I had made for the Superbowl party on Sunday. Every once in a while we'll treat ourselves like that. Then I decided to make oatmeal instead because we'd had Cajun Chicken Pasta for dinner and it was full of white noodles and heavy cream most of which was eaten by Brad and myself because I had made it a tad too spicy for either of my children. (But, heavens to Betsey, was it good!)After telling them to "man up", I eventually just let them eat strawberries and bread for dinner. I figured breakfast needed to be chock full of whole grains and fruit. I put the oatmeal on to cook (we don't do instant oatmeal because I don't like it) and went to get the children out of bed. Eli's pants were too short and most of Phoebe's winter clothes are getting too small. While putting on her third outfit (and the one that finally fit!), the oatmeal boiled over and made a huge mess. I ran down the stairs to turn off the burner and ran back upstairs to finish getting everyone dressed. Eli couldn't find his shoes so I let him eat breakfast without them. Everybody ate breakfast...except me because I was getting lunches together that I didn't do last night because I was so tired I fell asleep on the floor in front of the fire at 7:30. From then on, it was a series of fits and time-outs and spankings and tears and rushing around like crazy people. Eli even almost went to school without shoes because he couldn't find them! I blame it all on the oatmeal.

I hate mornings like this. I try to make our mornings smooth and easy so the children are ready to start their day in a good mood ready to learn and interact with a good attitude. It's my one small way to make the world a better place...by sending my children off with full emotional buckets and ready to face the world outside our doors and brighten it for other people. Today I failed and I failed miserably. Both children cried and I was grumpy. The McCalls will not be brightening anybody's day today.

The moral of this little story? I should have let them eat cake for breakfast.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be trying that recipe. I actually have a similar one, except it also uses zucchini. BUT, (and its a capital letter but) it is low fat and uses canned condensed milk rather than cream and there is no wine. I think I will like the Pioneer Woman's version better.

L.

Kristen said...

We ate that yummy pound cake for breakfast this morning...it was yummy! I love the glaze you put on it! tomorrow will be better!