Sunday, June 19, 2011

Things I Learned From My Dad

Cooking if fun. Baking is not.


Five minutes early is "on time" and "on time" is actually late.


BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID is the greatest western ever.


Early (and I mean early) morning is the very best time of the day.


Life cannot be tackled without a sense of humor. It may be the most important trait a person can possess.


Good coffee is important to a productive day.


Close friends are worth more than their weight in gold.


A good marriage is equal parts hard work, compromise, and laughter.


Storytelling is an art. So is teaching.


God is bigger and better than most of us can imagine and more concerned with things that we choose not to see or hear or believe.


So much can be accomplished "while you're resting".


Always (no matter what) put sunscreen on the tops of your feet. (I cannot tell you how many times my dad burned the tops of his feet while we were at the lake!)


Pets don't ever really need to go to the vet.


The grief over the death of a parent never really goes away. (Read THIS to see how it impacted my dad.)


Grandchildren turn you into a big pile of mush.


Despite its name, Egg Custard Pie is manna from heaven.


Even though some of us spend our lives in surrounded by the silence of God (so it seems) we are no less Christian or faithful than those who hear Him everyday and see Him everywhere.


I was given a man of integrity and compassion and laughter and love as a dad, and I am forever grateful.


Happy Father's Day, Dad!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Hey there,
Thanks for the kind words. Parenting kids is more caught than taught. And of course choosing the right partner.
Love you
Dad

Anonymous said...

just realized my youngest had not signed out on my laptop.
Dad