Sunday, June 05, 2011

Our (Almost) 24 Hours In The Canyon

Brad has become quite the cyclist.

Last year, he rode in the 24 HOURS IN THE CANYON, a bike ride to raise money for our local cancer center. We did not join him since the temps last year were over 100 degrees. This year, while still pretty warm, promised to be a little nicer so we loaded up a borrowed pop-up camper and joined him on Friday night.

The drive down into the canyon is amazing. It's absolutely breath-taking...if you're not scared of heights and barreling down a narrow canyon road. Not that I am or anything. Phoebe was properly enchanted and I managed to not hyperventilate and get a few pictures.

In other news, I took a photography class on Friday and managed to take my camera off the auto modes and actually play around with the ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. Please don't ask me what those really mean because I'm not to the point where I can explain them yet. And my pictures aren't all that great, either. I think several of them are too dark, but it's a start. :)





This was the view at the top of the rise just behind our campsite. PALO DURO CANYON is truly amazing (did you know it's the second largest largest canyon in North America second only to the Grand Canyon?) and I'm always struck by its beauty.





I only took a few worthwhile pictures on Friday night. I was too busy taking pictures of still objects to practice all the things I had learned from my class and didn't get too many of the family. However, I took several of the water pump.

Phoebe was fascinated was this little door and could not figure out how we were going to get through the door and sleep in this contraption.



Eli was spending all his time riding his bike and climbing the big rocks.



The next morning we made pancakes. Phoebe helped shake up our bottle of shake-and-pour pancake mix. Just a tip, if you add too much water, the pancakes will be more like crepes. Not that we did that or anything.



Brad was a camp cook. He had to make up for breaking my coffee pot the night before.



Some friends of ours stayed in a tent next to the pop-up. I love this picture of big, tough, tattooed Rich taking care of Phoebe's Pinkalicious bike. Don't let this tough guy fool you, he has a heart of gold!



The highlight of the weekend was the kids race before the actual race began at noon. Here is Brad pinning on Phoebe's number.



Both my kids were way excited to "race". Everyone who participated got a trophy, but it was still fun.



Phoebe even got in a couple of practice laps. I didn't actually get any good pictures of her race. They were all too fuzzy. But she had fun and got a trophy...that she wanted to sleep with tonight! I wouldn't let her and there were many tears.



I figured it out and my pictures of Eli's two races were much better.





I just love this picture! He's so serious and having so much fun at the same time!



The race was two laps so I got him on the second go around, as well.





He was pretty darn proud of his trophy, too.



Apparently, I figured the rest of the trip wasn't worth taking pictures of because I don't have any after this race. Mostly we just went back to the campsite, ate lunch, and waited around for Brad to finish his 2-hour ride. I read. Eli rode his bike and climbed the "mountain". Phoebe threw fits because she was tired and hot.

A good time was had by all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Palo Duro is a beautiful canyon with its rugged beauty that is not appreciated by everyone. sorry about the heat, but yay for camping and bike riding! Glad you had fun.
XXXmomXXX