So much, in fact, that I typically pop four bags of popcorn on movie night. I buy popcorn by the case. When I came across a recipe for Popcorn Soup HERE, I knew we had to try it! I also knew that Brad probably wouldn't be all too thrilled with popcorn soup (it doesn't have any meat in it) so I waited until he had a night meeting to experiment.
It was a hit!

You could change the name to "Fun In A Bowl Soup", but that's a little lengthy. So we'll stick with Popcorn Soup...even if it sounds like a children's book. And it's quick and easy (seriously, on the table in 12 minutes!) so there's really no reason you shouldn't make it. Tomorrow. And then you can post a comment telling me how much my sharing your recipe has changed your life.
Popcorn Soup
2 cans cream-style corn
1 can whole kernel corn
2 cups half-and-half
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 chicken bouillon cube
4 or 5 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon sugar
salt
pepper
popped popcorn
Tabasco sauce
Pour cream-style corn, corn, half-and-half, chicken broth, and the bouillon cube in a 4-quart saucepan and heat over medium heat. Stir often until the soup thickens and is hot, but not boiling (about 10-12 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in butter, sugar, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings. This is way important because this soup can be kind of bland. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with popcorn. Offer Tabasco to anybody who wants a little "kick".
I served our soup with cheese and fruit. Since this is so quick, and not heavy like most soups, I'll be making Popcorn Soup this summer when it's way too hot to cook or eat anything fancy. For the most part, I think of soup as "fall and winter food" and it just seems wrong to eat it in the spring or summer. This soup blows that rule out of the water! I also think chopped green chilies would be yum-o, but I didn't have any in my pantry.
Two bowls later.

I have no explanation as to why Eli has a piece of scrap fabric tied around his head. He found it on the floor under my sewing machine this yesterday afternoon and it's been there ever since. Sometimes I wonder about that kid.



1 comment:
yep your recipes have changed my life. i need another one please :) jennifer
Post a Comment