This week has been really, really good.
Actually, it's been a strange dichotomy of a week. On the one hand, I've been exceptionally tired and worn-down and not just the usual mom-of-two-children-who-can't-function-unless-her-house-is-clean tired, but real honest-to-goodness fatigue that is one of the hallmark side effects of Gleevec. I don't say this to garner sympathy or help, but just to state the new normal that I'm still learning to live with. Some days I just feel more "normal" than others. On the other hand, Eli has been a golden child all. week. long. I'm talking pleasant-to-be-around-and-I'm-actually-enjoying-parenting-this-child good.
It all started last Saturday when he announced over our Saturday morning pancake breakfast, "Mom, I've decided that I'm going to obey the first time with a happy face all the time."
I think I might have said (with a tiny bit of sarcasm), "I'll hold my breath."
He wasn't kidding. It's like he woke up a different child. He's been doing his chores without complaining or arguing, he's been kind to his sister, he hasn't begged to play the Wii 947 times this week (we have a No Wii On School Days rule), he hasn't been belligerent or contrary about every single thing. He's been the funny, energetic, sweet little boy I always knew he could be. Even his teacher noticed and sent home a "happy note" on Wednesday. That's not to say he's been perfect, but I feel like since we aren't dealing with the basic issues (like obeying and not complaining about everything and doing the exact opposite of what he's told just because he can) there have been some great teaching moments about how to treat others and serve them. We've gotten to bake cookies and make a friend book and watch THIS show while cuddling on the couch last night. Seriously, it has been amazing!
Phoebe is another story or another time.
I keep waiting for the old Eli to come back (and I'm not naive enough to think he won't), but at the same time, I'm really, really enjoying this new-and-improved version. Even if he's only here for a week or two, it's giving me a little Spring in the midst of a Winter of Parenting. I'll soak up every moment and use it to refill my reserves so I can parent the little girl who is just starting to test the waters of defiance.
This parenting thing is hard!
"They heard and felt the breath of spring, and they stirred with new life and hope. There was a good, new smell in the air, a smell of earth waking after its long sleep." -E.B. White
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Eli reminds me so much of my oldest! After several very challenging weeks (okay, months) with Connor, I finally just asked him if there was anything he needed me to do to help him remember to make good choices. I thought maybe we would brainstorm a secret code word to remind him not to lose control, or maybe he needed me to sit and read to him to help him unwind after school. He looked right at me and said "I don't need anything. I've just decided I'm going to make good choices." And just like that, he did. It was crazy! That was probably about 6 weeks ago, and he has been a completely different child since that day! We still have moments, or course, but I find that I actually enjoy being around him, and like you said, he is a joy to parent.
Here's to hoping Eli's attitude change is here to stay!
He is just getting ready for an awesome spring break!
Post a Comment