Thursday, March 04, 2010

Investigation: Girl Scout Cookies

For the last several Januarys, I have been telling anyone who would listen (and there aren't that many) that there was something different about Amarillo Girl Scout cookies. The Thin Mints are the same and delicious, as always. But the Tagalongs (or Peanut Butter Patties) are soooo wrong. Nothing like the crunchy peanut buttery-ness I remember from my childhood. Most people just smile and nod at my weird cookie rantings and then make a mental note not to bring them up again. Ever.

A few weeks ago (in a moment of forgetfulness and hope) I purchased a box of Peanut Butter Patties from the sweet, bright-eyed brownie hawking cookies outside of Wal-Mart. I took them home, popped them in the fridge, and waited with anticipation until they were good and cold. I took my first bite and my cookie fantasies fell apart around my ears. It was bad. Bland. Old-tasting. Grody.

Then last weekend, my mom brought me a box of Tagalongs from Dallas. (Moms are the best EVER!) I was in cookie heaven! My 4 boxes of Thin Mints were almost gone and now I had real Tagalongs!

I had proof that I'm not as crazy as you might think!

Exhibit A: The box is different!

It's a subtle difference, but it's there. Besides the obvious name-change, the Tagalong box is a zoomed-in version of the Peanut Butter Pattie picture. Hmmm...

Even the back of the box is different.



Exhibit B: The cookie itself!

The cookie on the left is the Tagalong and it is obviously much thinner than the Peanut Butter Pattie. You might think that a fatter cookie would be better because it's bigger...but you'd be wrong. Tagalongs have an even layer of peanut butter across the whole cookie giving it a better peanut butter to crunch ratio. In the Peanut Butter Pattie, all the peanut butter is all piled up in the middle making it a fatter cookie. While unidentifiable by appearance, the chocolate is different, too. I almost always prefer dark chocolate to milk chocolate...except in the case of Hershey kisses and Tagalongs. The chocolate in the Tagalong is creamier and smoother than the Peanut Butter Pattie whose chocolate has a funny "old" taste to it. Like it's been in the freezer too long.

Exhibit C: They come from different bakeries in different states!

I think this is real reason the Tagalongs are so much different than the Peanut Butter Patties. Tagalongs hail from the Little Brownie Bakeries in Louisville, Kentucky, while Peanut Butter Patties from the ABC Bakers/Interstate Foods from Richmond, Virginia. After doing a little "research" on the world wide web, both are the only licensed producers of Girl Scout cookies and other than "Thin Mints", they do not share any cookie names (in my personal opinion, the Little Brownie Bakers are way more creative in the "naming" department). Apparently they don't share recipes, either.

I think I'm beginning to understand why my aunt from Lubbock always ordered a case of Thin Mints from me when I was Brownie way-back-when. I couldn't figure out why she would order from me when there were just as many Girl Scouts in the Panhandle. It's all becoming so clear to me now and I'm sorry I ever doubted her.

Aunt Sharon, I'll split the cost of shipping a case of Tagalongs all the way from Dallas with you next year.


Is anyone still reading this post? If you are, then you're welcome to the mostly-full box of Peanut Butter Patties in my fridge. However, keep your mitts off my Tagalongs!

8 comments:

Cornelius Crew said...

Can I just start by saying you're crazy!!And I'd love the leftover cookies. Those are my favorites and ours are all gone! ;( I can honestly say I've never thought that much about any food ever!! But I love pb patties. So keep your silly ole tag a longs and give me the good stuff!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey there,
I think you are on to something. This is obviously a conspiracy of some sort. It could be political, it could theological, oh my it could (dare I say it) spiritual. There may be the difference between VA and KY. How can we tell? Whom do we believe? Is nothing sacred? Why before you know it, we will find that Starbucks and Seattle coffee are actually the same! Oh the tragedy! Oh the humanities!
I'm glad you ferreted this out. Now I can be on the watch for conterfiet cookies, they won't slide it by me anymore.
Love your head and the way it works..wouldn't want to live there, but nice to visit.
Love you, see you soon
Dad

Amber said...

You're totally onto something here. Look at that ingredient list- very different, very suspicious! Did you read my blog a few weeks ago about the Keebler version of Tagalongs? They have a chocolate cookie inside which I think makes them even better. I would love to see how you compare them!
Oh- and I love your Dad's comment about visiting your head but not wanting to live there. I laughed out loud in my office at that one!

Anonymous said...

I have some good news for you. I have a box in my freezer right now just for you when you come for a visit. I'll see if I can secure another box or two. you can never have too many cookies, you know.
XXmomXX

Heather said...

Now I know who to go to if there is ever a cookie emergency:) Good to know!

Anonymous said...

Nice research! I always thought the Taglalongs tasted different too. Now I know why!

Michelle said...

This whole post cracks me up! I do not think you are crazy!!! ;)

Nicole said...

Wow. I thought they had changed the recipe completely from when I was a Brownie. When I started buying what I now know is "peanut butter patties" here in Texas and in Washington I was so disappointed with them and thought they were very gross. Now I know I was just in the wrong area. I sold Tagalongs in Massachusetts and THOSE are yum. I am so glad they are not gone for good. I wonder if ebay sells Tagalongs....

Thanks for the sleuth work Jordan!