Thursday morning we loaded up and went to the zoo. My dad thought it was a bit of an overkill to pack the bandaids and the antibiotic cream and the antibacterial wipes and the snacks and the jackets and the water bottles and the extra stroller, but it was all necessary! We arrived at 9:02 and parked in the third parking space in the first parking lot! When has that ever happened at the Dallas Zoo on Spring Break? It was a bit cool, but when it's cool, all the animals are out. Even the tigers...who I have never seen before because they are spending the hot afternoon trying to stay cool in the shade.
Why is it that the flamingos are always at the entrance of every zoo?
Lincoln and I hanging around in the entrance to the Reptile House. I don't "do" snakes or spiders or tarantulas or albino alligators or poisonous frogs. (I read once that a thing is "venomous" if it bites you and you die and it's "poisonous" if you bite it and you die. Does anyone know if this is true?) Usually I don't even darken the doors, but it was cold outside and the Reptile House was heated so Lincoln and I hung out together in the lobby. He loves the Baby Bumblebee song!
Here's a picture of Phoebe sitting next to the oldest bathrooms in the zoo. I'm pretty sure I remember going to those exact same bathrooms on my first-grade-field trip.
Aren't we all glad I brought that extra stroller?
Pictures of the children on animal statues. Apparently, I find iron animals much more exciting than real animals.


I'm not sure Phoebe appreciated Eli stealing her spotlight.
I love this carousel. It's full of endangered animals like jaguars and elephants and lions and eagles...and a Triceratops. I think they missed the boat on that one.



It was after this picture that the Incident happened.

I lost Phoebe. In that "I only took my eyes off her for a second" she disappeared. The first few minutes I was sure she'd just pop into view, but then the first few minutes turned into several minutes and I was starting to panic. Just as I was about to really flip out, I spotted her, hand-in-hand with a zoo employee. I'll admit, I cried. Not during the search or while I was running frantic and my stomach churned, but when I knew it was going to be okay. After that we ate our lunch and decided it was time to go home for a nap and a Sonic Diet Coke with lime.
Friday morning we went to the Science Museum.

It was fun, but I felt a little like I spent $30 so Phoebe could play in the sand and Eli could blow bubbles. Eli seemed to fall between the lines when it came to exhibits. He was too young to understand the "big-kid" stuff but he was a little too mature for the Children's Museum. Oh well.

It was a fun Spring Break. Well, with the exception of THIS and the grease burns I gave myself on Monday and Eli's tummy bug on Tuesday and my BIG IDEA and losing Phoebe at the zoo and Phoebe burning herself on a hot pan of biscuits and a snow storm on the first day of Spring. But it was still great fun...enough fun that now I'm ready for a *real* vacation. :)




1 comment:
it was fun. All of it. I'm ready to do it again.
XXmomXX
Post a Comment