Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Starbuck's and Scans

I got to bed really, really late last night...like, 11:45!

Please stop laughing. It was pretty late for me...I'm usually in bed around 9:30 or so and asleep by the local news (or the local news puts me to sleep...there's a lot of weather coverage around here). What's even better is what I was doing until 11:45pm. It's not what you're thinking and get your mind out of the gutter. I was at Starbuck's with a group of gals from my Sunday School Class. Wild and crazy, right? Anyway, we decided to have a Girls Night Out so we went to Starbuck's around 8:00ish and just hung out and drank coffee and talked. I know it's a stretch to imagine seven women just talking for four hours, but we did. We covered all important subjects like who was taking what aerobics class, what children were having their tonsils removed, Brazilian waxes (no one was getting one, but one of the gals does hair so she was filling us in on how they are done and why she does not perform them herself...a very wise decision we all agreed), and what brand of at-home tanner was the best. Then there were the really important conversations about one gal's brother who is very, very sick and her feelings about that, how the death of a sibling affects all the other family members, why some people can be more positive about life than others, and so much more. I soaked up every moment of it. This past year has been really hard on my friendships. So many times I feel lonely and isolated by all this cancer stuff. I feel like the world thinks things are fine and I am doing well when most often I still feel like I'm drowning in a sea of anxiety and pain and anger. I can only put my "normal" face for so long and then I just want to climb in bed and pull the covers up over my head. It's hurt my friendships. It's hurt my marriage. It's hurt my children. But I don't quite know how to "make it better." I think I've forgotten how to be normal. Then again, who really knows what "normal" is anyway. I long for really intimate, spiritual friendships with other women, but I don't have the energy or the time or the courage to be vulnerable enough to cultivate them. It was lighthearted and fun and helped me reconnect (even if just a little bit) with some of the women who share a season and a time with me.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

On another thought, I have a PET scan today and a CT scan tomorrow. It's already been three months (and two weeks) since my last one...time flies whether you're having fun or not, I guess. The PET scan is not so bad except that I couldn't eat any carbs or sugar after it was scheduled yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately, the nurse called just after Eli and I had finished making Rice Krispy Treats. It was exceptionally disappointing. I guess I'll just have to eat them today after my test. Surely this is an excuse to eat the entire pan, right? I can't eat after 9am this morning, but I can drink all the water I want. Yeah. So I loaded up on eggs and bacon for breakfast and we'll just have to wait and see how cranky I am by 3ish when the test will be finished. The CT scan is tomorrow at 8:00am. That's not so bad except for the nasty, nasty barium they give you to drink. I'll be NPO after midnight tonight, but the scan should be finished by 9:30 so we'll just go get a big brunch after that. Then it will be waiting for the results and then hounding the doctors for their input and getting depressed when they say there's no change. It's just so much fun. I will try to be better at posting what the doctors say about this round of tests. They said everything was "fine" last time and I just wanted it all to be "great" so it was disappointing. I will be filling my time today before the PET with lots of ironing (why, oh why, do all little girl clothes have to be ironed?!) and then "pruning" my closet. I keep it mostly clean, but it just needs a little pruning to get it ready for the BIG DAY. It's going to be a fun-filled few days, to be sure.

9 comments:

Cornelius Crew said...

Truly enjoyed last night! Was good to have 'girl' talk for a little while! I'm always amazed at how I feel a little rejuvenated after just laughing and talking with friends-- it's good for the soul!

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel...I have been battling colon cancer for 5 years now. Id like to be your online friend to share all of our joys, worries, etc....I have been reading your blog for a long time now daily and feel I alread really know you...Sue


my blog:
http://cancersucksbigtime.wordpress.com/

Lori Harper said...

So glad you had some girl time last night. That is so important and I sometimes feel like I neglect my friends. I get too wrapped up in other things and forget to spend time with my friends. 4 hours in a coffee shop sounds like heaven to me!

I will be praying for you and the tests you are going through. I will be asking God for GREAT results and thanking Him in advance because I know He is going to hear all our prayers.

I so enjoy reading your blog and watching your kids grow up. My God continue to bless you and your family.

Lori
Arkansas

Anonymous said...

Hey there,
Needless to say, praying for you every day. It ocurrs to me that we live lives filled with joy and pain. It is the fabric of what makes us..well, us. The world is not okay, it is tough and relentless and we each have to find our equilibrium in the midst of all the shifting events and emotions.
I think the one constant is the relationships we have. Family is a way of ensuring we have relationships, friends are the bonus for the time invested. They are enver easy, but they work when we work at them.
the tests will come back as they will, it won't change the panic running like a stream below the surface. Even if they come back and say, "you're cured!" For me, there will always be the panic below the surface, carefully tamped down,lid solidly in place, but with the potential to erupt every time you call. It is this tension that truly makes me long for heaven, when the calls won't come, your relationships will be Starbucks relaxed, and joy will be unfiltered by pain.
Love you, see you soon.
Dad

Amber Smith said...

Jordan-
I am so glad you had a fun girls night out. We all need one of those every once and a while.

I hope it helps to know that we have not stopped praying for you and your family and will continue to do so.

I wish that you lived closer. I would love to make a late night run to Starbucks with you anytime.

Amber :)

Anonymous said...

A girls night is a little piece of heaven! So glad you got to enjoy a night out! I will be praying for you today & tomorrow for GOOD news. PS - You have your dad's gift of writing. Both of you express things so beautifully (as I've seen in many of his comments).

Kristen said...

Always praying for my precious friend and always there to talk!
I love you and I wish I could go to Starbucks with you and talk until 11:45. I know we can do that...we would probably be there until 4 in the morning.
We are moving soon! I want to see the Mccalls in Brownwood, Texas very soon! :) That would be a fun trip just to hang out (just the 8 of us). Much needed friend time, since we probably won't have friends for awhile. :)

Amber Smith said...

Jordan,

I heard this poem on the radio yesterday and thought of you.

He giveth more grace when the burdens grow greater,
He sendeth more strength when the labors increase;
To added affliction He addeth His mercy;
To multiplied trials, His multiplied peace.

When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources,
Our Father's full giving is only begun.

Fear not that thy need shall exceed His provision,
Our God ever yearns His resources to share;
Lean hard on the arm everlasting, availing;
The Father both thee and thy load will upbear.

His love has no limit; His grace has no measure.
His pow'r has no boundary known unto men;
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus,
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again!

Annie Johnson Flint

I hope today is a good one.


Amber :)

Anonymous said...

We are still praying here in AR. I have had some medical problems that cause chronic pain and I totally relate (on a smaller scale, of course) to what you were saying in your blog. I think the feeling alone is the worst part for me. Please know you are not alone and we are praying for you daily. Feel free to e-mail me anytime. :) God bless you!

Jen
Rackleymay19@hotmail.com