Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Full Weekend

I feel very satisfied this Sunday evening.

On Friday, my sister flew into town to pick up my children and fly with them back to Dallas for the week to visit my parents. Eli was so excited to see his Aunt Carrie and had planned all the games they were going to play when she got here. Thank you Aunt Carrie for playing multiple rounds of Hungry, Hungry Hippo! The three of them flew out early Saturday morning and I'm already missing my sweet Phoebe hugs and my crazy conversations with Eli. (On Saturday morning, I was getting ready for my garage sale and Carrie was getting the children ready to go. Eli looked out the window and exclaimed in a very frantic voice, "They are selling all my stuff!" We weren't...only his little baby toys he hasn't played with in four years.)

My friend from college, Jenny, came into town to help me out and just have a little "girl time." She was my first real friend at college and it was fabulous to spend the weekend with her. She came to talk and help and just to be my friend. I think she is one of the most compassionate and positive people I have ever known and I just soaked up that time with her. I loved going to the grocery store with her (twice!), having deep conversations while sitting in the shade of the garage during my garage sale, lots and lots of Sonic Diet Cokes, and just talking and talking and talking.

I had a garage sale. We gave up when it got too hot and we found ourselves scooting farther and farther into the garage, but I did make $141.20. We sold alot of junk and then we hauled the rest off to Goodwill. Not too shabby for a morning's work.

We cleaned out the playroom. I waited until my children were gone so Eli could not proclaim that every broken toy from McDonald's was his favorite. I even made the executive decisions about which (few) toys they would play with until we move. The rest were boxed up and sent to storage, but it will be like Christmas when we finally move!

I cried through yet another sermon on prayer. At least this time Jenny was crying with me so I certainly felt better about myself.

Tonight I will sleep the rest of someone who has worked really, really hard. There are still things to be done to our house, but my part of the to-do list is getting shorter and shorter. We still have to finish cleaning out the garage, but we'll finish that this week. Brad still has some things on his part of the list (I will not be scraping and repainting the trim!)and most of that involves small maintenance repairs. There is still packing and moving left to do, but it doesn't have to be done before we put the house on the market.

Brad mentioned in passing yesterday that he thought maybe we should wait a few more weeks to put the house on the market because he was worried it was going to sell too fast. I almost strangled him!

5 comments:

Cornelius Crew said...

I;m glad your list is getting whittled down some. You could do what I do and if you do something that's not on the list, write it down and then mark it off! Makes me feel like I accomplished even more!

Anonymous said...

YAY! I am happy you made money from your garage sale (minus the Sonic drinks and bagels)!
Eli was worried that you were selling his games when we were on the plane (after screaming "WE ARE GOING TO CRASH!!! when the plane took off! HAHA!)
Anyways see you in a few days, sleep in, go out eat with no kids, get a pedicure!!!
Carrie

jennyc said...

Thanks Jordan! I had a wonderful time with you! I prayed before I came that I could be a blessing, but instead I left blessed by you & Brad! Something your preacher said stuck with me...It was about choosing people who would "live well" even amidst the burdens and pain of this life. Your family LIVES WELL to the glory of God. Thanks for blessing me with your friendship, two DELICIOUS home-cooked dinners, yummy breakfast and laughter!

Anonymous said...

read my blog if you have time..I updated it with some good news...Sue

http://cancersucksbigtime.wordpress.com/

Kristen said...

HEY! I am so glad we got to chat on Monday! YAY for the garage sell. I love getting extra money like that. Enjoy your week without kids. :) I can't wait to see you on Wednesday night. :)