Monday, May 07, 2007

A New Look

I have finally decided to change the look of our blog. Not a huge difference, but I decided it was nice and "summery." I don't really feel like it is almost summertime because it is still pretty cool here. The cold weather has really hung around this year and I think I am getting a little depressed because of it. By the end of August, though, I'll be depressed because the weather is still so warm. Why can we not just be content in the moment?

I've spent a lot of time contemplating why this whole obsession with SpiderMan really bothers me. This would be Eli's obsession...Brad could care less about any superhero. It is a disturbing day to realize that you know more about superheroes than your husband. It is just wrong. Thanks, Ben. I can't really put my finger on why it bothers me so much that Eli is fascinated with SpiderMan. Is it because the movies are so inappropriate for an almost four-year-old? Maybe. I cannot even imagine letting Eli watch any of the SpiderMan movies. We have friends that see no problem with their children seeing the movie. I don't think they are worse parents for it and most of them I really admire as parents. It is a decision Brad and I have made for our family and we really don't care that Eli will not get to see some of the movies his friends are seeing. Is it because I feel like I am being bombarded with SpiderMan propaganda? Maybe. I was trying to find something at Wal-Mart last night for Eli to take to his gymnastics party. I did not want to get anything with SpiderMan on it and I got so frustrated looking that I just left with nothing. (I ran to Walgreens this morning for some Ring Pops that supported absolutely no characters.) I could buy fruit snacks, juice boxes, chips, cookies, granola bars, fruit roll-ups, t-shirts, underwear, or even snugly baby blankets! Everywhere I looked there was SpiderMan. I think my reason for being so anti-SpiderMan has really nothing to do with SpiderMan at all. I think I am resisting it because it means my little boy is growing up. He isn't interested in little boy things anymore and I am mourning that loss. I realize that I cannot stop the hands of time and that everyday is one step closer to releasing my precious boy to the world and his own life and decisions. SpiderMan represents that loss. I want to keep Eli little forever and yet I know that is impossible. So, I am trying to make my peace with SpiderMan. At some point, I will probably wish that Eli were still "into" SpiderMan and not even more grown-up things. At least it is not the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...talking turtles just freak me out a little bit.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Ha! Ha! I agree! I would like to keep him little too! I just love Him!!! I do agree with Spiderman being better than Ninja Turtles.
It was soooo good to talk to you the other night for SO long! I love those talks. I am so blessed by you as a friend. Thanks for always being there.
Love you!
Have a happy week! :)
YAY for Mom's Day on Sunday! :)
So fun to celebrate you!!!

Anonymous said...

I have come across your blog through the Jennifer Ireland blog. I am following your story and praying for God's healing!!( and SOON!!) Thanks for sharing your story and GOD BLESS!!!

Daphne in Alabama

Lori Harper said...

I know just what you are talking about! Just wait until they are older and start wanting to tack Hannah Montana posters on their walls! LOL

Keeping you in my prayers!

Lori Harper
Newhope, Ar

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... yes growing up. I feel your pain. We have gone from me reading bedtime stories about mothers and bunnies to me having stories read to me about Junie B. Jones and "stinky" boys. Yes, I do feel it, too. Although, I am sure I am soaking in as much childhood as I can, I know it won't last forever. No wonder people want more and more kids! If only we could just have the stages we love!

Heather Newman