I have been feeling very blessed today. I know that I am ALWAYS blessed, but sometimes it just seems to be more apparent than usual. We are finally getting all of our ducks in a row concerning the Gleevac prescription. It took a letter to document that this was only course of treatment, a meeting with a board to approve payment of the Gleevac, getting Dr. Strauss all the numbers for the various pharmacies and agencies that will be supplying the Gleevac, and finally for Walgreens to actually get the Gleevac at the store. Apparently, it is not used enough to actually keep at the store. That has all been going on the last few days. The pharmacy called yesterday to tell us the prescription is in, but that it was a $600 co-pay! We were a little shocked because our insurance had told us it was going to be only a $50 co-pay. It was all a misunderstanding because they had filed it with our old insurance that we had through Brad's law firm. With Brad's new insurance from his new job, our co-pay will only be $50 a month. The actual price of the Gleevac for a month is $3400! Here is where the blessing part comes in. Brad's new job (the one he was offered the night before my surgery on March 9th) has insurance that will cover this new drug that will (hopefully) make it so that I never have to have these cancer tumors again! We had been told that I will probably be on Gleevac for 2-3 years and I cannot imagine paying $3400 or even $600 a month for that long. Again, we have been taken care of. God is good.
I haven't actually picked up my prescription yet because the woman in charge of benefits at Brad's new job has to call Walgreens and give them our new prescription info. We are getting a card in the, but it hasn't come yet, so she's just going to call and get it all worked out. I should have it by tomorrow and then I'll start taking Gleevac. It feels good to know that we are finally getting treatment started. I'm only a little worried about side-effects because all the literature says they are extremely mild for a chemo drug (headache, nausea, fatigue, etc.). I'm only even worried that much because it is just an unknown. I don't really know what to expect. I'll post more about it when I know! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Praise God! Soon and very soon this will all get going. You are still in our hearts and prayers - and it helps we see you twice a week. I also feel, though totally unrelated, that I should just share how precious I think Eli is. I probably should have posted it on your Spiderman vent, but Jordan, I really do love that boy. He is smart, funny, curious and soooo boy. I can't wait to see who our little Cade will be. Eli has grown a lot this year and we have really loved watching and teaching him.
Heather Newman
That is a blessing. We will be praying against any negative side effects from Gleevac. Definitley keep us informed on how you are doing once you get started. I will be waiting!
Hey!
I am so glad you figured out all the Gleevac stuff! What a HUGE blessing with that and with Brad's job. We are so excited for that. Let us know all the details of what is happening. I know you will.
We love you so much! We miss you and can't wait for you to come play at our house this summer. We love all 4 of you!!! :)
Post a Comment