Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Adventures At The Hair Salon

The everyday adventures of a stay-at-home mom usually consist of grocery store outings, snotty noses, and trying to justify the jelly in their pb&j as a "vegetable". They usually don't include Destruction of Property...unless, of course, you are speaking of your own house (which I wasn't).

Normally I enjoy going to the hair salon. It's quiet. I get to sit and read a magazine (or both). Someone else washes my hair and makes it look like I never could. Today was not one of those days. Due to some scheduling snafu's, I had to reschedule my hair appointment from a late afternoon (when Brad could watch the children) to 1:00pm today. I forgot about it until yesterday when they called to remind me and by then, all my friends were too busy to watch them. Instead of rescheduling, again, I thought, "I'll just take them with me. How bad can it be?" I'm sure moms all over blogland are laughing until they fall out of their chairs.

I packed up the DVD player, some books, a snack, and stopped at Sonic for a little Diet Coke with lime support. Then I felt bad that they were having to sit still and behave for about 2 hours so I bought them a couple a drinks, as well.

Off to the hair salon where I set the kids up in some comfy chairs with the DVD player on a little glass-topped table playing "Ratatouille". I was just getting comfy in my own chair thinking, "Okay, this might just work out," when I heard a terrific crash from behind me.

Phoebe had leaned on the table to reach her apple juice and toppled it over. When I turned around, the table was in pieces, the drinks were spilled and smashed, the DVD player was open with the DVD thrown across the room, and both children were screaming! Thankfully, no one was hurt, but I was so embarrassed! It had scared Phoebe and upset Eli about his Sprite, but no major damage (except to the table).

My stylist (who's also the owner) assured me it was fine, that she had a son herself, that accidents happen, blah, blah, blah, but I still felt bad. She still did a great job with my hair and even let me make another appointment (after Brad gets off work next time!) so maybe I haven't been banned forever from the salon. That truly would be a tragedy.

Never a dull moment in the life of a mom!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

brave..... ohhhhh so very brave.

Anonymous said...

wow. I'm not sure Holly would let me come back. Your stylist must be some gal. gotta love those kids.
XXXmomXXX

Amanda Brooke Kilgore said...

Sounds EXACTLY like what would happen to me! Just when I think I'm pulling something off, something that I REALLY want to do for ME, it explodes in my face.

Kristen said...

ohh no! i am sure Shanna understands. :) I hope you get to go without children next time. I wish I was there to watch them. :)