Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Ditch and Stitch

This weekend I "ditched" my family and "stitched" with a couple of friends. Two of my friends have gone a quilting retreat with a group from a quilting shop here and town and they decided this year just to keep it simple and have one with just a few friends. There were supposed to be four of us, but one gal's husband fell out of the house they were building on Thursday night and broke his ankle and she had to play nursemaid. We missed her terribly...but she did come out for a few hours on Saturday. I had every intention of quilting, but then I talked myself out of making two quilts for Eli's new bunkbed (denim comforters will be just fine and a lot less work!) and decided instead to work on the children's Halloween costumes. I even finished them! While I did not work as hard as Liz and Dixie (who actually pieced some quilts), I did meet my goal (and taught myself how to make ruffles) and reminded myself that I actually do enjoy that kind of stuff. It got me all fired up for more crafts and sewing. It's a good thing, too, because I'm sure there will be alot to do for our new house. Let me also interject that I am not that great (unlike my mother who is fantastic!) and I am exceptional at short, easy, instant gratification projects...like curtains and Halloween costumes. There are no pictures of this little get together since we all wore "comfortable" clothes all weekend and didn't put on makeup. I stayed up way too late, talked too much, ate too many "snacks", and just generally had a a great weekend. Brad kept the children and they seemed to have a pretty good weekend, as well. Phoebe keeps walking around the house calling, "Da-ie, Da-ie?" He even put the dishes in the dishwasher (he usually just rinses them off and leaves them in the sink)...I guess there is something redeeming about having your house on the market! :)

4 comments:

Amber Smith said...

Sounds like fun! I can't wait to see the cute costumes that you made!

The Ham Family said...

I must tell you that Eli and Phoebe looked wonderful at church Sunday. We were greeters at the west door and Phoebe came in just grinning ear to ear. We loved her squeaky shoes. She is so ADORABLE! Eli thought about looking for his class by himself but decided to wait on dad.
I'm glad to know that you weren't sick but just having a fun weekend.
Gay

Cornelius Crew said...

I'm glad you went with "ditch and stitch" for the title of the blog!

Kristen said...

What a FABULOUS weekend! :)
Love those kind of weekends.