I haven't had the time lately to do a lot of sewing, but I did manage to get a few quilts made last Spring and Summer. With Eli having 2 teachers combined with Phoebe's Kindergarten teacher, I "whipped" up three quilts last Spring before school ended. And by "whipped up", I mean I started in March and finished them by the last day of school.
This pink and black chevron quilt was for Phoebe's Kinder teacher, Mrs. Boaz, who only has boys. I was happy to make her a girly-girl quilt.
Mrs. Reed, Eli's Science/Math teacher received this red and turquoise quilt.
Mrs. Gjerde, his Homeroom/Language Arts teacher was gifted this happy quilt and it couldn't have suited her personality better.
I'm not a huge fan of quilt labels because I think they take away from the look of the quilt. However, I do have the kids write a sweet note to each teacher and use those as labels. They were super sweet this year.
Call me crazy, but if I can make someone cry with my gift, then I have succeeded! :) Not because I'm cruel, but that's how I know I've done it right.
Why do I sew quilts for my children's teachers? Isn't that just a little too much? I don't think so. And it isn't because I'm trying to show up the other moms in the classroom...'cause you know I'm screwing up in lots of other areas so that's not it. I'm a gift-giver. It's my love language. I wish I spoke a more noble love language like quality time or words of affirmation, but gift-giving is my thing...and I'm really good at it. These teachers work really hard all year long. In so many ways, they are parenting my children right along with me. For nine months, they worry and work and love on my children. Even if we've had our differences or we wouldn't necessarily be friends outside of school, they are doing their absolute best to make sure my children succeed. This last year, we *loved* our teachers...professionally and personally. These quilts are a sad, small token of our gratitude. They helped write a beautiful chapter in my children's lives and I hope these quilts remind them of that every time they see them.
This summer, I made a little baby quilt for my friend, STEPHANIE. She has an amazing story (that's too long to tell here!) and it was a pleasure to make a baby quilt for her new baby son, Levi.
It even made it to her before she delivered...barely! :)











4 comments:
Jordan - do you machine piece your quilts? I'm assuming you also do the quilting on your machine. Any tips or tricks you've accumulated over the multitude of quilts you've made?
You are so awesome! I am going to buy one of those from you someday! They are SO cute!!!! Love the chevron. Love them all! You rock!
The quilts are just beautiful....such a nice gift to give too. I love seeing homemade gifts being given...and I think they mean so much more, especially as you get older and look back on them. Thank you for your talent in writing and gift giving. By the way, Phoebe looks like she is getting so tall in the previous post....how tall is she now? Or is it just the picture.....not that I have ever seen her in "real life" but she is just growing so fast! A friend in East Texas, Pam.
This is so so special, Jordan! What a sweet and thoughtful person you are to do this!
Post a Comment