Wednesday, December 05, 2012

What's Cooking Wednesday: German Chocolate Pound Cake

I got out of the habit posting my "What's Cooking Wednesday" during November since I was posting 30 Days of Thankful. It worked out (sort of) because I didn't bake as much during the month of November. But I had one recipe that I was *dying* to share.

Let me give you a little back story. Brad's birthday is in November and he loves German Chocolate Cake. It was the groom's cake at our wedding...well, without the traditional coconut-pecan icing because I think it's ugly so we had a coconut-pecan filling with dark chocolate icing. So much prettier. But I digress. I don't like it very much and it's not the easiest cake to make, either. Actually the cake part is no trouble, but the icing is a pain because it's cooked. Cook it too long and it's too runny. Cook it not long enough and it's runny. You have to cook it just right to make it stick and you know how bad I am at the precision part of baking so my icing always runs off the cake.  Highly frustrating for a cake I don't care much for. But because it's Brad's birthday, I always feel like I should make him one for his birthday. 

Then I found a recipe for a German Chocolate Pound Cake and I felt it was easy enough that I probably couldn't screw it up. And my Aunt Anna offered to make Brad his own German Chocolate Cake (from scratch!) at Thanksgiving so I was off the hook. 

Yippee!


The cake was a hit...both with Brad and our Huddle students. I thought it needed sharing because maybe there's some other baking-challenged woman out there who needs to make a German Chocolate Cake for someone special in her life. This is you answer, my friends!

German Chocolate Pound Cake
1 box German Chocolate cake mix (I don't remember what brand I used. I don't think it matters.)
1 tub coconut pecan icing
4 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/3 cup water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, beat together all the ingredients except the icing. Beat for  2 minutes. Stir in icing. Pour into a greased and floured bundt cake pan (I used Baker's Joy). Bake for 1 hour. (Mine probably took a little longer because my oven cooks slow. I probably just baked it until my cake tester came out clean.) Cool in pan 10 minutes. Invert onto serving platter and wait at least 10 more minutes, but I let mine cool completely. 

Recipe adapted from MRS. HAPPY HOMEMAKER


1 comment:

roboref said...

I pinned this recipe. It looks awesome! I didn't know Brad loves German Chocolate. It's also Granddad Carthal's favorite cake and I attempted it this year for his birthday. My frosting didn't run. It hardly moved. It was like a big ol' hard, heavy candy bar on top of the cake. It was pretty tasty, but looked like a washboard road in the country. I'll try this one for him this Christmas. Thanks, Jordan!
love, Pam