Friday, December 07, 2012

My Children's Christmas Program

My kids were in their very first "Christmas Program" at church on Sunday night. Oh sure, they've practiced and sung Christmas carols for preschool and such, but this was the first time they practiced for several months getting ready to sing at our church Christmas Party. The kind where you drive around listening to the same Christmas carols every day for months until they are burned into your brain. Or at least until you find yourself singing "Polar Puppy" while cleaning the bathroom when your at home by yourself. 

I know Eli enjoyed it, although he's always a little awkward and stiff on stage. He gets that from his mama. He'll do anything to spend time with his two church buddies, though. 


This was Phoebe's cup of tea! She loves to sing and she loves to be on stage. Not to say that she didn't have her "space out" moments, too, where she stopped singing and just stared off in to the distance. I'm just glad she didn't pick her nose or anything. 

But there was one song, in particular, that Phoebe l-o-v-e-d. It started because the first time we were driving to school and I heard it on the CD, I told her it was one of my all time favorite Christmas songs.

Growing up, my mom had the Oak Ridge Boys Christmas cassette (yep, it was a tape!), CHRISTMAS AGAIN.  It was my favorite. I knew and loved every song and I just wasn't in the Christmas spirit unless I had heard that tape. I still love it. I know that makes me even worse than a nerd, but I love that group of Christmas carols.  Brad cannot believe he didn't know this about me before we got married because it might have been a deal breaker. I personally think that anyone's whose favorite Christmas song is anything by Kenny G doesn't have a leg to stand on. 

If I had to pick a favorite off that album, I'd have to say it was the song "New Kid In Town". Not sure why I loved that one most because they are all special to me, but I did. And that was the song the kids were going to sing in the Christmas program. 

Phoebe was so excited she learned all the words pretty quickly and sang it loud every time it played. When it came time to practice it for the first time at rehearsal, she belted it out with such feeling and preciousness and sincerity that the director gave her a solo. 


Sitting in the chapel, watching my baby girl sing her heart out to a song that is filled with such loaded memories was very moving. She's not the greatest singer, but she's mine and my love for her filled me all up and seemed to spill out all over while she sang. It was one of those "Mary Moments". Those moments we have as moms that feel bigger and weighty with the emotion they carry. The times when  we "treasure up all these things and ponder them in our hearts" like Mary did after the birth of her Christ-son. Because even though Jesus was  a heavenly being who changed everything, his mom was just a mom trying to figure the whole thing out like the rest of us. 

I'm posting our youtube video here. She was singing kind of loudly because they children had been told they wouldn't be miked and she wanted to make sure everyone heard her! :) Feel free to not watch the video, too. I posted mostly for family. 


I took several photos of the family after the performance. My parents and Aunt Amy had come in for the show, but someone had their eyes closed in every single photo. And not the same one each time! But I did get a few of my children and their buddies. 



And this one good one of just the two of them. Don't be fooled by the good photo. It was taken after multiple bad ones, several threats, and at least one bribe. 


I'm including the youtube video of the Oak Ridge Boys singing that song, too. Just for fun. It's my little Christmas gift to you. 

You're Welcome.


4 comments:

Amber said...

I love that song too, and I've had it in my head for days now. Phoebe did great!

Anonymous said...

I would not have it for the world!
xxxnenaxxx

Anonymous said...

I would not have missed it for the world!
xxxnenaxxx

Vanessa Anderson said...

Okay, just so you know. . . The Anderson's have been walking around with "Polar Puppie" ringing in their heads this past month, too. So. . . thanks for that. . . I think?