After Monday's surgery, (I wrote about that HERE) we've been spending most of our time the last few days resting. Resting is hard work, too. There are movies to watch and cuddles to have and soup to make and the Internet to browse.
The surgery went very well, too. After the anesthesiologist gave her the Versed, which made my baby girl very happy, the cardiologist mentioned that the whole was bigger than he originally thought and there was a possibility they wouldn't be able to do the surgery. However, after the initial scope, they did finish the procedure with warnings that they'd be doing echocardiograms a few times in the coming months to make sure that everything stayed where it was supposed to and no further damage was occurring. The hardest part was keeping Phoebe still and on her back for the four hours after the surgery. The first three hours were good, but then the anesthesia wore off and she started getting antsy. Hospital stays are no fun, but she seemed in good spirits and recuperated nicely. We spent Monday night at the hospital, listening to the sleet and snow start falling early Tuesday morning. The nurses and doctors tried to get us out of the hospital pretty quick, but with the yucky weather, it took longer than they expected, and we ended up leaving Children's around 11:30. By this time, it was very clear that Brad was not going to make his flight to Austin for the conference he was supposed to be attending and Phoebe and I were probably not flying home on Wednesday. My mom and Carrie both had school called because of ice so we just spent the rest of Tuesday and all day Wednesday resting.
Phoebe slept and slept and slept some more on Tuesday. And she didn't eat much. I was pretty worried so I called Cousin Amy (who sewed up PHOEBE'S LIP this last summer) who assured me that it was all normal and that her body just needed to recuperate. Wednesday morning didn't start all too well, either, after she threw up the pancakes I had made her eat because she hadn't eaten anything since the morning before. After a nap and the restorative powers of Campbell's Princess Chicken Noodle Soup, I started to see a glimmer of my peppy girl. I was a little glad the ice had pushed our flight back a day because I didn't want to travel with such a sicky girl.
She woke up this morning a new child! She sang while she made biscuits with Nena. She yelled, "I FEEL BETTER!" while sitting at the breakfast table. She brushed her teeth. She's had the longest tea party known to man while I packed up all our stuff for our flight home. It's good to see her back to normal. Whatever that may be.
The last few days have been kind of nice...except that we all miss Eli. A bunch. If he had been here, I'm not sure when we would have gone home. Well, except for that whole Brad-has-a-job-thing and normal life has to resume sometime. Bummer.
Thank you for all your prayers and words of encouragement. I know they have been heard. Now you just need to pray for this mama since children who have this surgery usually have a big uptake of energy when they are all healed up and Phoebe wasn't what you'd call "low-energy" to begin with. Heaven help us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
I'm so glad little princess is doing so well this soon after the surgery. We're praying for all of you!
Give Phoebe a hug from her aunt and uncle!
I am so very glad the the surgery went well and Phoebe is recovering quickly! It was so nice to meet yall the other day.
Yay! I am so happy that she is recovering nicely! I have been thinking about ya'll all week long.
relief...I've grown to love your little family via your blog...was anxious to hear!
Post a Comment