I remember sitting in the doctor's office, holding my baby, while the doctor explained all of this and feeling a huge weight of worry and fear settling down on my shoulders.
It was diagnosed as ASD, or ARTERIAL SEPTAL DEFECT. The hole was about 1 cm in diameter, which doesn't sound so big until you think about the fact that Phoebe's heart was only as big as her teeny-tiny fist. He told us there wasn't much we could do right now because her heart was too small, but they'd continue to do check-ups and echocardiograms every six months to watch her progress and growth. Then they sent us on our way with a pamphlet all about ASD.
I immediately read through the literature and googled it. Not a good idea because there are all kinds of scary things medical things on the Internet! Symptoms ranged from lethargy and failure to thrive to respiratory infections and shortness of breath. Phoebe was our calm, go-with-the-flow child and we constantly wondered if it was personality or if her little body lacked the energy to do big things. We were told that in a few years, she would need surgery to repair the hole, but it would have to be done in Dallas or Houston because that's the only places it was done.
And then we waited.
Her heart didn't seem to cause her any problems. In fact, the pediatric cardiologist said he was surprised she was as asymptomatic as she was. She a tall, healthy girl. She's not prone to respiratory infections. Her energy level is great! So great, in fact, that I worry she'll become even more active after her surgery and then Lord, help us all! But the hole is still there. And it still needs to be fixed.
A few months ago, we began talking with the pediatric cardiologist in Dallas. The surgery date is set. Monday, January 31st and Children's Medical Center. On one hand, I'm glad to get it scheduled and take care of this little problem that causes worry and fear to nestle (while not as big) on my shoulders. On the other, I'm a little nervous about heart surgery on my baby.
Part of me wants to downplay the whole heart surgery thing. It's only an overnight stay in the hospital. They aren't cracking open her chest, instead going up through an artery in her leg. It's no more a big deal than getting tubes in her ears. She's going to do great. And then there's the part of me that's screaming, "THIS IS MY BABY! THEY ARE MESSING WITH HER HEART!! SHE'LL BE UNDER ANESTHESIA AND WHO KNOWS WHAT COULD HAPPEN!!! SHE HAS TO STAY IN THE HOSPITAL!!!!"
It makes this mommy's heart go cold when I think about what could happen. I second-guess myself for letting Eli stay home with a family friend so he won't miss a week of school because what if something happened. I wonder if this little hospital stay is going change our lives forever like the last time one of our family stayed in a hospital in Dallas. But then I shake myself out of such morbid reveries. I tell myself that I'm just indulging in my flair for the dramatics and that everything will be fine. Just fine.
It's funny, these matters of the heart.



17 comments:
I will be praying for her and your family!!
Great picture!! Lots of love and prayers for you and Phoebe and the doctors. She will do great! Will come check on you guys later in the day...
I know she will do great, but oh, the worry in the meantime--being a mother is darn hard work! Try to concentrate on what a perfect little heart your sweetheart will have by Valentine's Day.
Praying for Phoebe, and you, too.
L.
will definitely be praying for you guys through the surgery....
Little Phoebe will be in our prayers. What a relief it will be when it's all over. Stay positive for yourself and for her!
Praying for you all! Love you!
Praying for her and all of your family and the doctors hands that will be doing the surgery! It is so hard not to worry as a mother but she rest in the hands of Jesus and she will come out just fine!!! :)
We'll be praying for your precious baby girl on Monday
praying for all of you. your precious girl will be resting in God's hands. As will you. Love you and your crew...
We'll certainly be praying for sweet little Phoebe and you, Brad & Eli. {{HUGS}}
That is a beautiful picture of you and Phoebe! Will definitely be praying for all of you! Love you!
We will be praying for Phoebe, the doctors and you on Monday!!
Praying for healing on Pheobe's heart and a speedy recovery from surgery. Praying for guidance for her doctors and peace during surgery for you and Brad.
Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you, especially sweet Phoebe. I love that picture of you two!
Phoebe and your entire family are in my prayers. May God give you comfort and peace as you wait during the surgery and throughout her recovery.
We know the feeling of parents who have to sit by helplessly as they take your child (no matter what age) to surgery...but the Lord is with you all and He hears all of our prayers.
Ted and I are thinking about you guys!
Just read about this, Jordan. Praying for Phoebe and for you!
Post a Comment