Thursday, January 13, 2011

Goop Soup

One of the great things about KU is the awesome recipes I get to bring home! I realize we're all there to enrich children's lives and grow their little brains and bodies and souls and blah, blah, blah. But I work with some awesome mamas that know what's it like to come home dog-tired to hungry kids and are willing to share their tips and tricks. That's what rest time is for, right?

Last week, Ms. Jennifer shared her recipe for Goop Soup. She has four kids at home and doesn't really like vegetables so I knew it was bound to be good! It did not disappoint. Well, except for the fact that my Velveeta curdled, but that's my crockpot's problem, not the recipe's, and the half-and-half smoothed it back out a little. How can it be bad with Velveeta and half-and-half?! It's like queso soup!



My children both loved it and it made enough to freeze for later. You know how I feel about leftovers and all. When I told Phoebe the next day at lunch that there was just enough left for her to have some for lunch, she made up a "Goopy Soup" song...cause it's just that good!

Goop Soup
2 lbs. ground beef
onion, diced (I didn't use this because I didn't want to cut one up and have my hands smell like onion all day long...and I felt lazy Tuesday morning.)
1 lb. Velveeta (or more...I added more)
2 cans Ranch style beans, undrained
1 package chili seasoning
1 can Rotel
2 cups half-and-half (I was out of half-and-half so I used milk and it was still yummy!)

Brown ground beef and onion in a skillet. Place in a slow cooker with all the other ingredients* except half-and-half. Cook on low 6 hours. When ready to serve, stir in half-and-half until combined and warm. Serve with tortilla chips.

*Apparently, my crockpot is too wide and too big and gets too hot to cook Velveeta for long periods of time. Even on low, when I make queso, I have to really watch it or it'll curdle. It still tastes fine, but it looks disgusting! Next time I make this, I'm going to add all the ingredients except the Velveeta and the milk. About an hour before we eat, I'll add the Velveeta and let it melt right at the end. Also, I'll only use one can of beans and add a can of diced tomatoes. Mostly because while my children l-o-v-e beans, I don't really care for them much.


This is the perfect soup to make when you've been teaching Pre-K all day, are dead on your feet, have two children who feel the need to eat several times a day, it's really, really cold, and your husband has an impromptu meeting at work at 6pm. Or something.

And then be sure to make up a song about it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love my slow cooker and bought it with all those good intentions about chucking all that good stuff in it in the morning to come home to a lovely home cooked meal.....
However.... there it sits, on my shelf, in its box, and now I feel it staring at me. So... thank you for the inspiration.... and here's to Goop Soup for dinner tomorrow.. (if I wake up on time...if the kids don't have a meltdown at breakfast... if I can find homework, school shoes, uniforms, reading books.....) hmmmm..

The Jarrell's said...

Bath & Body Works has some odor eliminating soap for the onion smell--and it works!!! I tried it! :)

Heather said...

That sounds really good. Maybe I can get my husband to be on board with soup with that one!

kristi said...

This is my first time to leave a comment but I love your blog!! I only know you as one of stephanie mccord's friends and I found your blog on hers years ago! (Stephanie & I used to teach together years ago in Mesquite!) I now feel like I know you family because I follow (or umm "stalk"- since I don't know you) your blog! :-) I think you are a SUPER MOM!! And I LOVE your recipes!! A family favorite is your easy chicken pot pie!! we had the goop soup tonight!! Delish!! So thank you for allowing "strangers" to have a peek into your precious little family and sharing so many great recipes!! And if I ever see you in Dallas......I will be the crazy stranger running up to hug you and tell you what a great person I think you are & how much I love your blog!!
:-) Kristi Francis