Mostly because I haven't been doing a lot of cooking. I usually don't in the summer, which is odd because my schedule (or lack of schedule) should lend itself to new and delightful culinary feats. Not so much. I seem to be more about fast, light, and easy these days. The recipe I'm sharing with you, dear reader, is all of those things. And I can convince myself that it's mostly healthy because it's tilapia and everyone knows fish is good for you. Even if it's cooked in butter!
I found this recipe several months ago in SOUTHERN LIVING. So you know it's gonna be good! But it sat in my recipe file, waiting for I-don't-know-what to get me to try it. I made it the other night and it was yummy! Absolutely perfect for a weeknight.
Cajun Cornmeal Pan-Fried Tilapia
4-6 tilapia fillets
1 1/2 teaspoon cajun seasoning
3 tablespoons self-rising flour (I didn't have any of this, so I just added a pinch of baking soda to regular flour...it turned out fine.)
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
lemon slices (optional, but highly recommended!)
Sprinkle tilapia lightly with cajun seasonings. Combine the rest of the seasonings, flour, and cornmeal. Dredge the tilapia in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Melt butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add fillets and cook 3 to 4 minutes per side. Squeeze juice from lemon over fillets. Serve immediately.
Seriously, folks, it's easy-peasy and it's fish, which I'm trying to add more of into our diet. We had ours with pan-fried SIMPLY POTATOES and steamed broccoli. Start to finish? Maybe 20 minutes. I could have done it faster if Holley hadn't been here in the kitchen distracting me! :)
I'm hoping to re-discover my love of cooking this weekend. THIS is on the menu and I can't wait! I'll let you know how it goes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Thanks for the recipe. It sounds great. Unfortunately here in Chile it is COLD and so we are (right now) cooking more stick to your ribs food. Our favorite summer recipe is also supper easy and best of all requires come cutting, but no cooking! http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Black-Bean-And-Corn-Salad-II/Detail.aspx I use canned black beans or even canned pinto beans when I can't find black beans. It is really great with meat, chicken and fish!
Great recipe, especially the Simply Potatoes diced potato with onion. Keep them coming.
DG
So - I decided to try this recipe last night....in fact, I also did the potatoes and broccoli. I am not a big fish eater - so to me, it was OK - but Marc loved it. And, we even convinced Madden to eat 15 bites (in order to be rewarded with 15 marshmellows after dinner!) It's the little things.
Keep posting recipes! Sure helps me out! Looking forward to making that basil lemon pasta with chicken soon - it was delicious!!!
Post a Comment