Kindergarten Graduation was Wednesday. The gym was packed (there were parents who brought their lawn chairs!) and the teachers were passing out tissues. I knew from the beginning that is was going to be long 45 minutes. Can you guess why?
This "pouty" girl was in rare form.
I wasn't really in the mood to reminisce or be sad since I was spending most of my energy trying to keep Phoebe from kicking the people in front of us (we were one of the unfortunate families who didn't snag a seat on the floor or bring our lawn chairs so we were sitting in the gym bleachers) or from lying down on the seat or from screaming during the teacher speech or from generally acting like a P-I-L-L. Sheesh. However, it didn't keep from taking a few more pictures.
The Processional. Please notice that Eli is holding hands with his little buddy. Melt. My. Heart.
Getting his diploma from the principal.
No picture of the whole family, but I did manage to get one of Eli and his proud papa!
The only tears I cried were tears of joy when I finally took my cranky, pouty three-year-old home to nap!
Today was the last day of school...aka Field Day.
This time, I didn't have time to take any pictures because I was in charge of the Obstacle Course. Otherwise known as "The Booth Where They Put First Time Home Room Moms Because It's A Lot Of Work And Everyone Else Knows To Request A Different One". Me and another roommom newby (her daughter is also in kindergarten) spent our morning helping 400+ elementary students spin around five times, walk a tight rope, jump rope 10 times, blow three bubbles over a white line, stack three apples for at least 5 seconds, and then shoot shaving cream off a balloon with a water gun. Whew! Next year, I'll be requesting the water booth...where two seasoned room moms sat in lawn chairs and handed out water bottles to the volunteers. I'll be working there with my fellow obstacle course carnie while some other unsuspecting room mom works the obstacle course.
I did manage to take this (marginal) photo of my children at the Popcorn Booth.
After Field Day the kids were treated to a hot dog sack lunch picnic. As I sat there with Eli and all his Kindergarten buddies, it dawned on me that these few moments were the last he would spend in Kindergarten...with these children and this teacher. The next time he went to school, he'd be a first grader. And that year would fly by just like this one has...and the year after that and the year after that. It was just too much! But I held myself together as we said one last good-bye to Mrs. Riggle and all his little friends. That is until we got to the car. Then Eli started to cry because he didn't want to go to first grade because he would miss Mrs. Riggle and he just has so much fun in Kindergarten. It broke my heart and the tears I had been holding back flowed freely. Then Phoebe, not one to be left out, started to cry and say, "My head is so mad! I want Mrs. Riggle to be Eli's teacher!" Oh, we were a slobbery sight!
So we did the one thing I knew would make us feel better. We went to Sonic for a little chocolate shake and Diet Coke with lime therapy. It was just what we needed!
And now we're ready for summer!



1 comment:
These moments are so sweet and so fleeting. When it says in the Bible that "Mary treasured these things in her heart" I think that's where she was and what you are doing. I found each and every stage of my children's lives to be the best one ever. Until, of course, the time when they left home. Didn't care for that one too much. Hug those kids and hold them close.
XXXmom/nenaXXX
Post a Comment