Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Fun With Furniture Boxes

Every few months or so, Brad and I get in a nesting mood and we get a few things done to our house that we always meant to do but just hadn't. This runs the gamut from buying furniture to hanging up pictures. My list of things I'd like to do is over a mile long and sometimes I don't think we'll ever get them all finished and it makes me want to go to a hotel where everything is already in its place and somebody else makes the bed!

The most recent episode has made us take a new look at our bedroom and Brad's office. We have loads and loads of ideas, but very little to actually show for all those lofty ideas. However, we did buy two chairs last Saturday.

We're taking teeny tiny baby steps here, folks. If you're not paying close attention, you might not even notice any forward movement is being made at all.

The kids were beyond thrilled because new chairs means furniture boxes! As I dragged them upstairs and pulled out the markers, it dawned on me that my children had never made box houses. Ever. Apparently, they had missed out on this iconic childhood pastime because we very rarely buy new appliances or new furniture. When we actually did buy a bunch of new appliances for this house, we were trying to sell our old house so there were no box houses.

We have rectified this sad situation. Just look at the concentration. You can tell by the tongue.

Eli decided to build a restaurant. It was actually his second choice since I wouldn't let him use spray paint, nails, and a saw to construct a rocket. He named it "Cold and Hot Restaurant" because he was going to serve cold and hot food. That's my boy. Larger-than-life ideas with not-so-great names. The inside of his restaurant is covered with people eating cold and hot food at their tables and a snake chandelier because it's a Chinese food restaurant.

Phoebe decided to build a house.

I wasn't really able to interpret all that was going on, but there were lots of colors and lots of stickers!

And the title of this picture?

"Please, won't you be my neighbor?"


If only decorating real houses were as easy as decorating furniture box houses. Sigh.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I love their little city! You are such a fun mom!

Amanda Brooke Kilgore said...

Okay, I'm totally late, I know, but your new blog design is toooooooooooooo precious! I just had to tell you. I think I actually said, "Soooo cute!" out loud!