Friday, March 07, 2008

A Sureal Anniversary

Brad here.

Well, today has been a surreal day for the McCalls. March 7th marks the one year anniversary of when Jordan was diagnosed with caner (technically it was the third time but first time in 8 years). In fact, just like a year ago, my parents are here in Amarillo visiting. Last year it was to see our brand new precious little Phoebe. Last night we joked about these ironies and made Jordan vow to sleep the entire night without any "fireworks" like we experienced last year. Tonight about 5:30 p.m. Jordan looked at me and said, "last year this time I was in the ICU at Dallas Presby." We embraced and said nothing. We both knew what each was and had been thinking all day. See, last March 7th would rank on my list of one the worst days of my life. In fact, the only other day that would compete would be November 13, 1999....the other day in my life when I had to rush Jordan to an ER and was told that she had a bleeding tumor in her abdomen. Honestly, last year was worse. Worse for many reasons. Phoebe had just arrived 6 days earlier after a lengthy struggle to conceive that tested our faith and we were so happy; We were enjoying the euphoria that follows being parents. I had just interviewed for a new job the night we brought Phoebe home from the hospital...a job I now work at but yet at the time was materializing after years of work and prayer; However, the biggest reason is that this was the first time for me that my WIFE (as opposed to fiance) was diagnosed with cancer and most importantly this was the first time that I had to experience the feeling of knowing that you hadn't "beaten" the cancer after all. See, in 1999 I was a newbie because I wasn't in Jordan's life in 1989 when she was first diagnosed with cancer. Yes, I knew she had had cancer before, but knowing and experiencing are two different things. Thus, in 1999 I didn't have to struggle with having my hopes that Jordan's cancer was cured dashed. Now, I know what her family must have felt then. It is this hope in remission or a cure that Jordan and I had clung to for 8 years as we began our lives together and experienced all our firsts (house, children, careers, etc.). Many hours and tears during those years had been spent asking openly and silently the "what if" questions of what would happen or be Jordan's prognosis if the cancer came back.

So, as I recall March 7, 2007, and the sinking scared feeling I felt in the early morning hours when Dr. Smith told Jordan and me that she a had a tumor the size of a softball on her liver that was bleeding and many others in various other parts of her liver and lung, I cannot help but recall the fear I was experiencing. It was as though all of my worse "what if" questions were coming true....and true much sooner than I had ever expected. Moreover, this diagnosis proved Jordan to be prophetic and me simply to be a bumbling husband who didn't want to face the facts. Yet, I don't know if I would do it any differently now because as a spouse of someone who has or had cancer, you cannot waiver in your faith and hope that your partner in life will be healed. To do otherwise would be weak and unsupportive.

Anyhow, honestly I didn't sit down at the computer tonight to get all deep but rather to simply mark time with a post. Many of you have been reading along with our story for almost a year now (we started this blog a year from tomorrow) while others possibly have just recently started lurking. Thus, for some I am sure they will find this anniversary date to be a victory statement showing that God answers prayers, he is faithful, and loves and gives abundant life to his disciples. There is no greater evidence of this than reading the first month of this blog and reading our entries a year later to see the stark contrasts in the events our lives. Yes, Jordan is still living with cancer and on chemo, but we are living! In fact, we closed on a loan this afternoon to build our dream home... a home that we have been preparing for for over 5 years. If that doesn't make you want to live for the future, I don't know what else would (okay, I am sure many other things are but right now I am excited).

So, to close this post I say THANK YOU to each of you who have shared our journey this past year and who continue to read our story and pray for us. Knowing that we are not alone but in the thoughts of many over this year has given us many an hour of entertainment and many happy thoughts.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are blessed to know you guys! We love you dearly!!! We are grateful!

Bryan and D'Lynn

Cornelius Crew said...

Over the past year I have come to love your precious little famliy so much and we are so blessed to have gotten to know you both. YEAH! I'm so excited for you on the new house! God is good!

Anonymous said...

I remember praying for you Jordan at ACU when you were fighting your 2nd round of cancer. My heart sunk when I heard about your cancer again last March. I have been a faithful lurker for the last year, and I feel blessed by every entry. Your faith in God and love for your family are inspiring to all of us who read your website. Thank you for sharing your life with us and giving us the privilege of praying for you. Your children are so precious and we love all the stories, pictures, and videos you share.
I feel guilty that I lurk around your life but haven't allowed you to do the same. So, here are our websites incase you ever have time to check them out:
www.flickr.com/photos/abrokaw
www.flickr.com/photos/jbrokaw
We love you all and pray for you often.
Amber (Stableford) Brokaw

Anonymous said...

Hey Brad! Been out of town. Great post. You must have learned how to write from Jordan.

OQuinn

Shane Alexander said...

Congrats on the house. I wish we lived close enough to see you more, but we think about and pray for Jordan's health and your precious family every day. It's been a long scary year. I hope the only thing you have to complain about this year is politics!

Anonymous said...

Bless you both...Sue

Monica said...

I don't comment often, but I check in on you guys at least once a week. You will continue to be in my prayers.
I can't believe that cute little girl of yours is a year old. I love her sweet smile and all her bows. Bows are an important part of our world too.

Anonymous said...

Jordan and Brad, It has been a year already! I am excited for your plans for a new home and I am greatful for you Jordan and look forward to many more years with you in remission. It was so nice to see you both at Sing Song. Just wanted to let you know that you are loved.
Autumn Gilly

Anonymous said...

I READ ALL OF THE POSTS ON A REGULAR BASIS....THIS ONE OF BRAD'S JUST TOUCHED MY HEART....THANKS FOR SHARING...AN ANGEL OF PRAYER IN KC, MO ...JEN MILLER