Saturday, August 02, 2008

Canton: Great Deals, Hot Times

The "Jolly Girls" went to Canton yesterday. (Although my last name may be McCall, they still let me call myself a Jolly Girl). I took some great pictures, but I'm not sure how to download them on my parents computer so I'll have to wait until I get home to post those. We left the children with my dad at home because this was a "serious" Canton trip (read: no children and no complaining boys).

I really like to go to Canton First Monday Trade Days. It just might be the biggest flea market in North America. You can find absolutely anything you are looking for! From golf clubs to jalepeno popper cookers to old fans to funky jewelry and everything in between. The deals there on the "junk" (my personal favorite part of Canton) are great. Here is what I scored yesterday:
* a blue, "shabby chic" wood trunk-I think it's my favorite find! I'll post pictures of it later.
* a Blueridge bowl and platter for $5 each
* a pendant with my initial
* an old window for $5
* a dress for Phoebe with a sparkly cupcake on the front
* a pirate puzzle for Eli that has a motorized pirate ship to "float" around the puzzle

Here is what I thought about buying (but didn't):
* a red and white, wooden "office" arrow sign. I'm looking for some old wooden signs for my house, but this just wasn't the right one
* a initial pendant made out of a Yahtzee piece (I'm a little sad today I didn't buy it)
* a child's red rocking chair
* a picture frame made out of old ceiling tiles

Most of the pieces were left behind because of space issues or the fact that it was extremely hot and it was too much to think about while I willed my blood to literally not boil. I do not recommend first-time Canton goers to go in August. I thought my sweet sister-in-law from Minnesota was going to expire in the heat and humidity. My own southern sister implored me not to buy anything else we had to carry to the car. Our saving grace was the new, clean, air-conditioned bathrooms in that we made two trips to from across the park. They might be out of the way, but soooo worth it!

Every time I leave, I'm always thinking about the next time I can go. Hmmm, probably not until January (probably the other worst month to go)!

6 comments:

Jenni said...

ugh. I can't even think about going to Canton in the summer! what brave girls you are! I went in Dec a couple years ago and it wasn't too bad. I would definitely rather go in the cold than heat!

Great finds, though - can't wait to see pictures of the trunk!

Cornelius Crew said...

I've got to go to Canton! I've heard my in-laws talk about it for years, and for some reason we still haven't made it that way. Sounds like it would be fun, maybe in the fall though!?

Anonymous said...

I would love to go another time, but I don't think I will ever let you talk me into going during the summer again!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

those are both the worst months to go but you will get the best deals during those months!

Carri said...

I love to go to Canton! Growing up in East Texas we used to go all the time! I love to wonder around and look at all the cool and unusual stufff.....I am jealous!

Lori Harper said...

I love Canton!! My bible study girls and I are planning a trip in November!!!