Monday, February 25, 2008

On Pins and Needles

I let Eli do something this afternoon that I have never allowed him to do before. He rode his scooter on the sidewalk while I stayed inside!! It may not seem like a big deal to you, but we live on the corner of a pretty busy street that also has a city bus stop. He can't really ride in our backyard because we have a backyard the size of a closet and he REALLY wanted to ride his scooter. The wind was also blowing ninety to nothing and cold as a sister's kiss and I did not want to sit outside while he rode the scooter. My insides were all knotted up the entire time he was out there. Although they shouldn't have been...I stood at our big window in the playroom and watched him the whole time! I felt kind of silly and unproductive, but I know I was only standing vigil as mom's throughout time have done. If only we could protect our children from all that we imagine just by watching. Instead we watch them fail and hurt and learn...being a mom is so hard. Which leads to me the other reason I spent my day on pins and needles. Our friends, Casey and Kristen Cooper, are probably going to have their babies tomorrow! They spent the entire day hearing they were going to the C-section and then they weren't and then they were and then they weren't. It was an emotional roller-coaster, but they did hear that the babies' lungs were developed and they will probably have the C-section tomorrow. I am so excited for them and they have waited so long to be a mommy and daddy! Please pray that the babies are healthy and safe and spend no time at all in the NICU.

In other news, Phoebe got two new teeth today. She just broke two others through last Monday! That's four teeth in a week!! Eli was much slower getting teeth and only had a few at a year. Phoebe has seven now...which is a good thing because the girl loves to eat. Unfortunately, she won't eat any fruit or vegetables (except carrots). Any suggestions on getting her to eat fruit and veggies (other than endless reintroduction which I plan on doing) would be greatly appreciated. She seems to be a bread girl. I have no idea where she got that from! :)

6 comments:

Monica Doherty said...

Hi. Hope you don't mind a comment from a stranger.. as a mom the hardest thing for me was (is) letting the kids grow up. Putting your trust in them to mind what you say like, 'Don't leave the path' and 'look both ways when you cross the street', is a really hard thing to do but they will reach an age when you just have to (unfortunately).I found you while researching blogs for a trip to Palo Duro Canyon, I googled canyon day hike and found your account of Brad and Eli's trip! What is really weird is that I used to go to high school with Brad.. small, small world. After the initial 'Hey! I recongise that guy', I must confess I was a little nosy and read your blog. After alternating between both tears and laughter, I've come to the conclusion that you really are a courageous woman with a courageous family behind you, but you already knew that. I thought you deserved a comment rather than just a 'lurk'.

Anonymous said...

Hey there,
Now my insides are knotted up. The only thing harder than letting your kids venture out is being once removed and realize someone else (whom I have a ton of confidence in) is letting your grandkids venture out. As we all know, it is a tough world out there, but venture into it they must. Something tells me that it won't be long before grandaddy won't be able to jog behind Eli and the bike.
Phoebe needs her teeth, she was born into a more active world than Eli.
Love you, see you soon.
Dad

Anonymous said...

Good for you Jordan! I still have trouble letting Douglas go into the backyard alone. As for the fuits and veggies, I would try different sizes and temperatures with Sabine. Some things she just owuldn't eat until she got older. There are still a few she won't eat. I think you have it with reintroducing. Kids have their own particular tastes as you well know!

Emily

Anonymous said...

I used to make fruit salads and then add some orange juice to it and top with a little whipped cream...my boys ate all the fruit this way!! Might work for her too. Sue

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh and for the veggies I put melted cheese with mixed veggies and mixed it together....they liked that too. Sue

Anonymous said...

try adding a small amount of mashed ripe banana to her regular helpings of vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup. That should get the fruit thing going.