Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Check...Check...Check...

I am finally feeling like my list of Christmas "to-dos" is almost finished. I sent out my Christmas cards today. Later than I had meant to, but sent nonetheless. I am a little ashamed to admit that I used free, non-holiday return address labels. I completely forgot to order some and it was time to send out the cards or people might not get them before Christmas (although we did have some friends who sent out New Year's cards one year). I didn't have time to order them so Brad suggested we use all the free ones we get from all over. Mainly ACU and March of Dimes. So we did. Please do not think less of us. I'm truly embarrassed. It just looks so "un-Christmasy"...like I didn't have my act together (which I didn't). Brad, bless his soul, doesn't think another thing about it, and is just glad to have that stuff out of the drawers of our computer cabinet. It's just one of the many shortcuts I took this year. I ordered things online. I used pre-made stick on bows on my presents. I haven't made any chocolate covered pretzels. I signed Eli up to bring pretzels to his KU Christmas party instead of homemade Santa cookies. I sent store bought snacks to school last week (Eli picked out white powdered doughnuts and loved them) instead of making something very cute and "Christmasy." Sigh. I'd like to say it has made my holiday season a little slower, a little more enjoyable, that I've actually appreciated these shortcuts, but, in reality, I feel like I've just taken shortcuts. Maybe that's the reason I haven't felt very festive this year. Shortcuts just don't mean Christmas to me. Apparently, I have to get it all done the "right" way and kill myself or it just doesn't seem like Christmas. I think there may be something incredibly wrong with me.

7 comments:

Keri said...

The powdered donuts were so yummy and the kids thought they were way cooler than a silly ole cookie! I feel the same way Jordan. I just am not into it this year. I hate it and it makes me very sad but oh well! :)

Anonymous said...

I think if you felt any different then you would not have any Yarbrough in you (refer to Amy and all her doing at Christmas!) The very "Xmasy" Jordan who always outdoes (sp?) herself is who you are. Maybe you needed this Xmas of shortcuts (which makes you like the rest of us, I always use the stickon bows!) to realize you need to do all you do!
I love you anyways, even with your non-Xmas return labels, nonstick bows, and white doughnuts for Eli!
Can't wait to see you and decorate Xmas cookies with you and the fam!
Xmas cookie story about Jordan that I (and Sarah) love:
The tradition on Xmas Eve is to get all our family together and decorate TONS of cookies. We decorate until we are sick of looking at the cookies but Jordan will always get onto us for "slacking" in our decorating abilties. Oh that is why we love you (and why Brad only decorates ONE cookie each year! HAHA!)
Talk to you later!

Anonymous said...

Above comment from your loving and adoring baby sister!
Love ya!
Carrie

Anonymous said...

I bought my office Christmas cards at wal-mart bought a stamp that says "merry christmas". That way, I didnt have to write anything.

Jason O'Quinn

Cornelius Crew said...

Yes, I completely agree... there MUST be something wrong with you, because if you think spending 7 hours making the most adorable christmas cookies I've ever seen, is 'taking short cuts' then you are CRAZY! And I don't even have stick on bows on my presents, and the boys love them just the same, so youre a step or 2 ahead of me.
By the way, I'm still waiting for that special moment to sit with my cup of coffee and my husband and savor the wonderful, above mentioned cookies... if somebody puts that much work into something, i want to treasure the moment... maybe Christmas eve after they're all in bed!

Anonymous said...

There is nothing wrong with you.. it's what makes you so... Jordan! That's why we love you, but even you must draw the line somewhere, and take a break ONCE in a while. I'm sure giving us constructive criticism about the way we decorate our Christmas cookies will put you back in the spirit in no time!
Can't wait to see you! Love you!
Sarah

Kristen said...

Yes, I am used to the Jordan that out does everyone and always gives me good ideas for the next year...you always have the new and cute things for Christmas, but I totally agree with Sarah...you have to take a break once in awhile. I am sure you had a more relaxing holiday season. I was that person that took shortcuts this year too. Pregnancy wears me out! We still love you with all the shortcuts because I know you won't do shortcuts forever. :)
Have fun!